Luftwaffe Propeller Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luftwaffe Propeller Query

Hoping somebody can answer some queries I have in relation to what identification markings (if any) were recorded on Luftwaffe propeller blades. I’m in interested to know if there was a standard method of assigning markings to German military props. As a supposed example there is a laminated wooden blade available to the market (allegedly by repute a Luftwaffe WWII blade) with the following stencilled markings:

9-30308.11
    W Nr 31949 0/2

Does anybody know what these numerals signify and whether this can lead to original airframe or aircraft type matching or indeed if such numbers are compatible with any propeller identification system used by the German military in WWII? Were post war military identification markings of the same format?

“Googling” the 9-30308.11 number records other individuals querying this propeller number (Luftwaffe-bullet-board.com) in the past with the only lead being possibly a VS11 paddle blade for a JU87 Stuka.

Would any “boss” if present have corresponding markings (and indeed additional ones such as manufacturer)?

Thank you.

Luftwaffe Propeller Query

Horatio,

The blade in question is undoubtedly German. The number "30308.11" is the Constructiion Group Number (9-30308.11) for this particular item. It is not the blade's part number, which also begins with the "9-" digit, but instead is a number referring to the total "grouping" of this item such as the number of these blades found on this complete propeller assembly. Further, it is a series production blade as evidence by the ".11" ending. Prototype blades would have had similar Bau Gruppen Nummern but with a suffix such as "V2" (i.e. Versuch 2 / Test 2). It is not possible to determine what type of German aircraft used this blade without access to Junkers cross-reference documents. This is because Construction Group Numbers, such as your example, could have been used by more than one aircraft type. The W.Nr. 31949 0/2 is merely a sequential 5-digit serial number with possibly a code ("0/2") having a specific meaning for something else. What that something else could have been is open to speculation!

Hal

Comment

Hi all, i recently found a similar prop,, same 9-30308.11 number, different work #,, being W-Nr31.79.29
      The blade is a paddle style, 65.5" high, 16.5" wide and the hub on the bottom is 6.5" high. Prop appears to be wood with aluminum leading edge. I found some other numbers at the hub end of the blade,

BAUGR N09-30308.11
      W-N031.7929/2

Also present was a very tiny inspection stamp, hopefully when i download the pics it may become legible. Any ideas yet as to what these things fit?
      Also in the same location was a ME109g2 nose cone, black with a white spiral, was recovered from Russia 2 yrs. ago or so,is there a way of identifying what unit? Its my understanding that different units painted the nose cones different colors,,, Regards, JT

Comment

Working...
      X