Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Wooden Propeller Needed

Friends:

I'm restoring a 1960 Porsche 4-cylinder aircraft engine for running display and need to find an appropriate club-type propeller for it. The engine produces up to about 75 hp, and a reduction gearbox spins the hub at up to 2,200 rpm. Because the engine will be demonstrated in public, I need a safe and structurally sound propeller. If I can't find a club propeller, I may be interested in cutting down a normal propeller.

The mounting hub is about eight inches in diameter and has six mounting holes (will measure bolt circle diameter ASAP). The engine was originally used in a pusher installlation in a Rheinflugzeug RW3 motor-glider, where it drove the propeller via a driveshaft.

Any advice or leads will be much appreciated.

Frank
    303/237-0911
    fbarrett@aol.com

From what you're describing, I think I'd probably just have one custom built. Test clubs aren't that commonly found, and the ones I've seen don't look reliable enough to consider using in anything resembling a public place.
    Dave

Comment

Test propeller

Frank.
      I have a number of club type propellers and airboat propellers. Let me know what your bolt circle diameter is and I might find one that would work. I have 10 props rangeing from 45" x 24 pitch to 60" x 37 pitch. The are mostly made for continentals or small lycomings and most of them are new. I may also have a couple that could be cut down.

Bob

Comment

Dave & Bob:

Thanks for your responses.

Dave, who do you suggest could custom-build a propeller? Any guesses on approximate cost?

Bob, the mounting flange OD is 6.1 in (155 mm), and the bolt circle is 4-3/4 in, with six bolt holes.

Frank

Comment

Working...
        X