Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
clearprop

Default Falcon

Hello,

Thanks to the information obtained from the archives division of the National Air and Space Museum, I have identified my propeller.It is a product of the Jamestown Propeller Co. Model SE-5090. Was manufactured for the U.S. Navy for installation on the Curtiss HS-1L and HS-2L flying boats. Was sold surplus in 1920,(one of 627). Was never mounted on an engine. Laminations have separated to some degree, has some minor abrasions, otherwise it is in good condition. Any idea as to the current value?
clearprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Dave

I sold one for $1650, and I saw each of a matched set sell to different buyers (huge mistake to separate them) for almost $3k each, but then I've seen them NOT sell on eBay for as little as $600.

It's a very commonly found propeller, and unfortunately is really only half of the serviceable 4 blade combo.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
clearprop

Default Falcon

Thanks for the reply Dave. Part of the info I obtained did specify that it was "one" of a "two" combo that was mounted on the Liberty 375hp engines. This one was discovered wedged up in between floor joists in a basement in Eastern Maryland. Still had the waxed newspaper in the bolt holes. Unfortunately how I found out that it was waxed newspaper was after I had carefully cleaned them out thinking they were mud-dobber deposits. Probably devalued it to some degree, but I am going to hang-on to it all the same.
clearprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Dave

I don't think the wax paper added much in the way of value.