Prop required for Napier Lion engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop required for Napier Lion engine

Hi everyone, new here, I hope this is the right place for this, I am looking for a shortened prop or a test club suitable for a ground run engine, my carrier has the following dimensions.

centre bore 3"
    8 clamp bolts of 5/8" on 71/4" PCD
    hub thickness 7"

Clockwise rotation viewed from front ( RHT ) ?

All idea's considered.

Thanks

Andy

Napier Lion Prop

Andy.
    The Napier Lion is really a interesting engine. As I understand the Napier Lion ranged from 450 to 1000hp. Time permitting I can make you a sutible test club and wouldn't charge you and arm and leg.
    If possible could you post a picture of your engine. I think the group would love to see it with its three rows of 4 cylinders. I believe this engine powered the Supermarine S.5 Schnider trophy racer.

Bob

Comment

Clockwise rotation viewed from front ( RHT ) ?
      That would make it left hand rotation.
      Dave

Comment

Hi All,

Dave thanks for setting me straight on the rotation/handing question.

Bob, the Lion was quoted at 400 to 1350hp depending on mark number and age, the engineering is beautiful.
        I am very interested in a test club, using a full size prop has many problems on a ground running engine as you can imagine, please let me know a little more about your prop's.

The Lion engine under restoration.

My Alvis Leonides running after 30 years.

Andy

Comment

Napier Lion test club

Andy.
          Your restoration of the Napier is coming along good. Great pictures. Very interesting to us mechanics. You wouldn't happen to have a Supermarine to go with it? (Just kidding)
          I'll send you a private message with some pictures and my e-mail, so we can talk direct instead of on the forum about the test club.
          Thanks

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X