Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Preservation

Hello,

I have a family member that collects vintage propellers, and he has asked me to help him with his latest project. I'm an avid woodworker, but new to the preservation techniques and types of finishes used on antique props.

I've done some research on here to answer a few of my questions, but want to be absoutly 100% sure of what the correct methods are before I proceed, as I understand the piece is quite rare.

Any input or direction you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The general advice is to leave it alone if it is in original condition. If someone has already tried to "restore" it then what you do doesn't have a major impact on its value.

If you have to do something, it should be limited to cleaning and protecting, not removing any existing material other than dirt. If it has metal sheathing, the oxidized surface should be left alone.

Comment

Dave Bahnson is correct. Much of its value lies in its originality. Just clean carefully with a moist cloth dipped in warm water with a few drops of washing-up liquid. When cleaned allow it to dry for a day and then wax it with pure beeswax, (not a bees wax with modern additives such as silicones).

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X