Translation from German, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation from German, please!

A note to my fellow forumites to ask for help in translating a German aeronautical term which has defeated me.

The word is handsteurerräder, a typical German compound noun which can also be written as hands teurer räder. Translated literally it means hands expensive wheel

I am writing Part Three of my books on German Wooden Propellers of WW1 and am using documents from the time, held by the Deutsches Technical Museum in Berlin. One describes the NIG Propeller Company which initially made aircraft parts which included Handsteurerräder.

I have tried my well thumbed German Dictionary, various on-line translation devices such as Google Translate etc and even Alfred Schlomann's astounding Technische Wörtbücher, published in 1928. My assumption is that if he doesn't describe it, the word was not in current use in the years after WW1. It must be one of those words which sprang into use at the dawn of aviation only to be quickly replaced by a different term, or the aircraft part described only existed c1914.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Control stick or steering wheel.

Comment

Ach So! Vielen dank meine Freunde. I wish I had thought of asking on this forum two days ago. I understand the words hands and räder. but I thought teur means dear or expensive. Can you explain its use here?

Post script!! I suddenly understand! Its not hands teur but hand steur!! Thus hand steer wheel! Hah!

mit freundliche Grüssen,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hello,
        Yes that's it.
        Hand steering wheel.
        Greetings

Comment

Working...