Can you help me with what my prop is and what it's off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me with what my prop is and what it's off

Got a prop here that I would like to know what it is and what it possibly could be off thanks. It has 6 holes rather than 8 and it says It was made by The Integral Propeller co. and is signed R. Chauviere.
    Attached Files

Thank you for your email.

I suspect that you sent the photograph upside-down to test the flexibility of my neck.

Your prop is British and made by the Integral Prop Co, the British subsidiary of Lucien Chauvière. There's no drawing number so I can't identify the aircraft which it was made for. The lack of a drawing number implies that it was not made for a military aircraft. This is supported by the extremely low pitch which suggests a slow aircraft with an engine of very low power, in this case a Green of 60hp. This was the first British aero-engine which could produce 60hp and was the dominant engine from 1910 to 1912. It was widely used in this period by all the British pioneers including Cody, Alliott Verden Roe and the Short brothers.

I see that I have recorded this propeller in my database before.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 08-26-2015, 03:32 PM.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Can you post a photo of the entire prop? Or is it just the hub that's left?

Comment

Kay's wooden prop.

This propeller is complete, it is 8ft long. It has metallic tips on each end and only 6 fixing holes.
        This is what it has on the hub
        I. C
        D. 2.45
        P. 1.35
        HP 60 Green
        B 17361
        This was taken from a boathouse on lake Windermere many years ago. I am hoping that it may have been used by The Lakes Flying Co.( I know it's NOT Waterbird, it's to short) Now that is all the information I have.
        My photos are all on my I-Pad and I had to go to a computer shop,with my teenager to try to transfer them to your forum, he could only manage the one photo. Kay

Comment

I don't think it's too short to have been used on a seaplane, and the metal sheathing is often associated with that application, especially in some of the earlier propellers.

Comment

Working...
          X