Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID/Valuation help! Sensenich Mod. No. 86B-58 Ser. No E7834

Hello Ladies & Gents,

New to the forum... GREAT website and gouge on Wooden Props. Has been a great aid in trying to ID this hand-me-down I was given. From the info I have seen on here about Sensenich Props, this is what I have determined:

Sensenich Prop 86" inches in length
    Original Decals in excellent condiiton. Dings here and there, as well as a piece cut out from the hub (I'm assuming in order to render it useless bc it was no longer airworthy)

Model Number is 86B-58 ....assuming off of a Fairchild F-24 K or Fairchild 24 R 40
    Engine would have been a Ranger 165hp Ranger 6 410 b3/165 ??

Serial Number is E7834 which leads me to believe manufactured between Oct 1944 and March 1945 based on info from Sensenich

overall in great condition... wear and tear from a prop that was decommissioned after a lot of use. Looking for someone to check my work and let me know if I am right... As well as what its worth perhaps. Can post pictures... what is the best way?

Cheers!

"Sonshine"

pics attached

Pics attached
    Attached Files

Comment

Not sure what that chamfering is on the back of the hub, but it looks as if only the chamfer was cut, because there are still some "witness marks" from where the metal hub pressed against the wood in the recess. Those circles along the edge are from cut-outs in the metal hub. At least the alteration is on the back and not the front. It has the old style Lititz decals, which is good, and seems to be otherwise in pretty good original condition, which is also good.

I'd guess it would go for anywhere from about $500 up to maybe $1000 or so, but selling prices are hard to predict. If it's a hand-me-down, I'd just keep it.
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response... I know what chamfering is but as it applies to your comments I'm not sure what you're refering to... and which "witness marks" you are talking about and what they would be from? Mind dumbing down your post to point out and explain for me? I am planning on keeping it, I was just curious on value just for my own personal knowledge. Also I was curious about cleaning it up and making it look a little better.... without taking away from the originality and condition of the prop. I am a fly jets, so I can tell you all about turbines and afterburners... but my knowledge of wooden props is very limited. Teach me please, Master Jedi!

Comment

The "witness marks" are the impressions left in the wood from that metal hub, occurring to some extent from swelling and shrinkage of the wood. It's typically a good indication that the propeller was actually used vs. a surplus prop that was never mounted. If you look closely at those marks on the rear of the hub, you'll see where the circles from the holes drilled in the hub plate are "cut off" where the chamfer is present along the inside of the center bore (yellow arrows on attached photo).

I think that's an indication that the chamfering was done after the prop was removed from service. I think it also indicates that the flat recess on the rear of the hub was present before it was mounted.
          Attached Files
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X