Univar or Flottrop - Looking for year of manufacture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Univar or Flottrop - Looking for year of manufacture

I have this prop was supposedly the original prop for a J3 Cub I used to own, the seller reluctantly
    gave me the prop only after I super secret pinky swore that I'd never make a clock out of it. I did
    agree and he included the prop in the sale of the aircraft. I'd like to know if its possible that it's the
    original prop or was it made much later. When I sold the cub years later the buyer didn't want the
    prop, so I kept it.

Also I'd like to say "Thanks" in advance, it's great that you guys have this website and forum to help
    folks find out about props and their values. It's rare to find a specialized site like yours and I'm glad
    you are here.

The Cub was a 1946.

Manufacturer: Most likely a Univair or Flottrop
    Length from tip to tip: 72"
    Numbers stamped anywhere on the propeller:

SER. A 23764 B
    MOD. 72 A 44
    T.C. 802
    P.C. 406
    Number of bolt holes: 6

Photos will invariably be requested so it makes sense to post those first

Gratuitous airplane photo first, I really really miss this plane...

Now the prop photos

To my knowledge, Sensenich is the only manufacturer that has provided a resource to connect serial numbers with year of manufacture.

I'm not sure who manufactured yours and I'm not at home with any reference material available, but I don't think it's a Sensenich serial number.

Is that a crack running from the bolt hole on the hub into the first two laminations on the middle picture?
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and yes that is a crack. The previous owner said he was
      afraid to use the prop because he didn't now the year and didn't want to take
      a chance on it de-laminating. I figured if I was gonna use an unknown prop I'd
      take it to a prop shop for a through inspection before use, and as such, I never
      really looked close enough to noticed the crack before, but yep it's pretty
      significant as it crosses the hub opening and bolt circle. Doesn't look deep but
      probably enough to not use it again.

Comment

Yeah, that prop is not airworthy, so it quickly became a display prop.

You'd really need the aircraft logs to see when it was removed, which still doesn't tell you the year it was actually manufactured.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X