need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advise

am in the process of buying idems from a friend who's father in law has fallen ill. he was a carrier navy man who was aparently a ranking officer on an aircraft carrier. as a person who gravitates to the quallity products produced when things were ment to last, i can only say he has collected some very cool stuff from his travels. only one of which was a wooden airplane propeller blade. i am way out of my field with these and so i was hoping to describe what i saw and get any opinions anyone was willing to offer.

the blade stood about 4' - 4 1/2' high, was a darker type of wood w/ a brass covered tip and leading edge that extended 2-3" over the wood body of the blade. the brass was pinned in place every couple of inches w/ 1/4" -1/2" polished smooth brass pins {beefy}. thinking at the time that it was for a larger multi engine aircraft i turned it over to to examine the base and found it to be pretty heavy 40-50# {i am a fisherman so it might be a little less?}. it was too heavy for my girl to lift so i was only able to feel the steel in the cavity. it felt like a fine threaded connection {which i find a little scary} about 3-4" thread i'm guessing. the over all base diamiter was about 6-7". there was a faint red paint on the base but i dont know if it was steel or wood. it was pretty cool and not the typical two sided propeller...which make research very difficult for me. any ideas? sugestions or comments would be great. thank you for your time and tight lines!
    dano

It sounds like a variable pitch blade. Start here - http://www.notplanejane.com
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X