Always be wary of eBay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always be wary of eBay.

Here's a good example of stuff that gets through. The item (which I'm sure will no longer show soon) was a typical Sensenich prop for a J3 or similar aircraft, damaged at both ends, and claimed to be from an early US Airmail airplane like a Jenny. Here's the text of the description:

In the early 1970s, Paul E. Garber, the founder and curator of The Smithsonian Air Museum (now The National Air and Space Museum), evaluated this propeller in person when the Air Museum was in a small brick building along the D.C. Mall of museums, where The Spirit of Saint Louis was raised to the ceiling. Paul E. Garber noted that this propeller was from a "standard mail plane run by the U.S. Air Mail Service, between 1918 and 1924." It was attached to one of several possible aircraft: Curtis-Jenny (191; Boeing Model C (1919); or the de Havilland 4B or Junkers F 13 (also known as the J.L. 6). All ran 65mph engines for which this propeller was designed in 6 laminated layers of 1/2 each. The label on the backside was digitally enhanced (but not in photo shown) to reveal 1914 or 1915, predating its usage in the U.S. Air Mail Service. 1918 was incidentally the only year the USPS turned a profit but lost many pilots and planes. A pilot was paid $3500.-$4000. a year. This propeller was manufactured by "SB" or "Sensenich Brothers" as emblazoned on propeller shown in photos, in Lititz, PA. "DES 72044, SER 11721, HP 65, RPM 2350. It measures in height 61" and at its widest (center) 6", tapering to 4" at the end of the canvas tips. It is made of brass, riveted-to-wood, and wood. To preserve its authenticity it has never been revarnished or polished or cleaned up as that would spoil its antiquity. It is not a reproduction and is only for the collector of legitimate museum-quality aviation history. Message with any questions you may have and I'll reply within 24 hours. Thank you for your interest.

I've responded to the "ask seller a question" option and will see what he says. He is probably not trying to be fraudulent, but maybe passing on some folklore that came with the item when he acquired it. It's not unusual.

BEWARE!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave; 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM.
    Dave
Working...
X