Pre WWI propeller for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre WWI propeller for sale

Identification. It would have been great if there had been an insignia, but unfortunately, not. I have taken a few additional pictures with my husband, Dick, holding the propeller. He is 6'3" and our ceilings are over 9' so you can guestimate the size of the monster at 106".
    Near the 8 bolt hub is the following info:
    DES II 815 1. II(or this could be 11, not sure)
    No.10697
    Any info on this propeller would be greatly appreciated, and yes, it is for sale. We are moving and the new house has nowhere to display our propeller.
    thanks
    barb
    Attached Files

Based on its appearance, it's more likely from WWII or possibly from the late twenties to thirties. I doubt very much that it's WW1 era. I couldn't find that Desgin Number in any of my listings, but I'm not sure that the numbers are the correct ones if you are having trouble reading them.

It almost certainly has been refinished, which reduces its value substantially.
    Dave

Comment

Dave;
      It clearly states on your site that 8 bolts on the hub date it pre WWII, so is that inaccurate????

Comment

Originally posted by woodardgp View Post
        Dave;
        It clearly states on your site that 8 bolts on the hub date it pre WWII, so is that inaccurate????
        Maybe misleading, and I'll change the wording, but you'll also note that "modern" propellers are often 6 holes, but can be 8. There were a few 10 hole hubs and other oddballs as well. It would be rare to find a 6 bolt hole that was WW1 era, but it's not uncommon to find modern props with 8 or more.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by woodardgp View Post
          Dave;
          Would you tell me please where you saw this? I cannot find it.

Lamar

Comment

I just today added "Generally" to the bolt hole description on this page under "Early Propellers", and the rest is unchanged.

It was a little misleading if you didn't also read the comparable note under "Modern" propellers.

Thanks to woodardgp for pointing that out.

It's a generalization, not an absolute rule, as you will note that my two Bleriot propellers, which were manufactured BEFORE WW1 are also 6 hole hubs, for the Anzani engine.
            Dave

Comment

DONT sell your prop!

So Barb, indeed what you have there is a great piece of woodworking craftsmanship. Let me add my 8 cents worth about your situation. Granted you are moving to a new house, and indeed you might not have a place currently to display your prop. That being said, YOU have a great prop right now, just store it and wrap it up, and protect it and dont refinish it! If you sell it, all you will have is " common " money. But if you keep it till you do have the space to put a proper dowell on the wall for it to hang on, you wont regret this I assure you. For if you do sell it, it wont take long till the conversation comes back around to " dam it, I wish I would not have sold our great prop".

Think it over, at least at some point in the future, if it doesnt have a place to be, then surely there is some very cool member of your family such as a nephew or a future grandchild that would love to have it.

Pieces such as this that you already have with out having to shell out big bucks to get one like it, should be kept, till they have a great place to be displayed and enjoyed.

Think it over.

Sincerely,
              J. Dennis
              Hicklin
              Seattle Washington.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X