Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Old Propeller

Hello all,
    I have recently acquired an early 40’s late 30’s wooden propeller from my grandfather. He has had it since 1942 when he was a pilot out in East Texas. I hate to say but I had to refinish it. It has been in his attic down here in south Texas for over 30 years and has made a mess out of it. The finish that was on it had melted most of the way off and I would not even have been able to hang it on my wall without leaving a dark sticky residue behind.
    My Grandfather has the whole story behind the propeller that is really neat! He even has a picture of the prop on the plane with the owner standing next to it.
    I will have to scan the pictures and upload them for you.

Thanks

I cant seem to post pictures.

You can coppy and paste this link if you would like. Or maybe one of the mods could halp me out.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Dave; 03-19-2012, 11:06 PM. Reason: photos linked

Comment

leading edges ?

I was curious if that is just blue painters tape on the leading edges, and what is the future of the prop, are you going to keep it or sell it.

Sincerely,
      J. Dennis Hicklin
      Seattle Washington
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dennis,
        Yes, that is just blue painters tape. I masked off the brass on the leading edge.
        The propeller will stay with me. I have no intinsion of ever selling it. It's been in my family for 70 years and i would like it to stay another 70 years.
        I'll post a few more pictures in a few.
        Thanks
        Last edited by captnickm; 03-20-2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

The story behind the propeller. It’s a 6' sensenich that was on a small trainer plane (I will have to get the model from my Grandfather). In 1942 the owner of a small aviation instruction company was teaching his wife how to fly, my grandfather said that she was taxing down the runway and hit the brakes to hard causing the plane to lean forward and break one of the tips of the props off. So they threw the broken pieces in the trash. My grandfather was 18 years old at the time and thought it might be neat. So he pulled it out of the trash and brought it to a wood worker to be fixed. He said he didn’t think it was going to turn out that good seeing as the prop was shattered and all the pieces had splintered. You can see how he fixed it in the last picture that I attached. Small nails and lots of glue did the trick. When I got the prop most of the spots that he had glued had come delaminated and were starting to come apart.
          For the last week I have had it in clamps being glued back together.

http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/t...rent=prop3.jpg

http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/t...rent=prop4.jpg

http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/t...rent=prop5.jpg

Enjoy, Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X