identify my propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identify my propeller

Can anyone identify my propeller please (see attachments)
    Attached Files

It was manufactured by Westmoore and used with a Liberty engine (USA 12). Since it's right hand rotation it would have been a tractor (vs. pusher) configuration.

There isn't enough info in the photos to go beyond that generalization, but if you can make out the stampings, it might be listed somewhere.
    Dave

Comment

A little more info

Hi Dave, thank you for the information, I can't find anymore markings on the propeller, I sent all the information to The Fleet Air Arm Museum back in 1990
      they told me it was possible 1st WW and Signal Corps? also American.
      I then sent all the info to the Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum and had a reply from a Donald O. Weckhorst, that was in 2004, he said he was doing research on this and also passed it to a friend in Chicago and said he would write again when he had specific information, not having heard from him I sent the museum an email, they replied saying he had retired due to ill health.
      that was all the info I had until now from you who has given me more positive information in a day than they have in years, thanks again.
      All I would like to try and find out now is what aircraft it was manufactured for or used on.
      Regards Reg

Comment

Yes, I meant to add in my post that the "SC" number is a Signal Corps number commonly found stamped on a number of existing props. I presume that a number in the 50k range, as yours is, implies a manufacturing date more likely in the very late teens or in the twenties, but that's speculation on my part. If you look through stampings on various props on this page, you'll see quite a few props with "SC" stampings in various ranges. To my knowledge there is no documented correlation with dates, however.

As for specific aircraft, all I can say is that a tractor application for a Liberty engine on a Signal Corps prop has a high probability of being used on a DH4, but all that is is just that - probability.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X