Unit Construction Company US Navy Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Construction Company US Navy Prop

I am interested in any information regarding a US Navy wooden propeller, made by the Unit Construction Company, Philadelphia. Here is what is known so far: Two bladed wooden propeller. Left hand rotation. Copper metal on blade tips, with drain holes at tips. Fabric covering on outer 2/3rds of each blade. Eight 1/2 inch bolt holes, spaced at 8 inch diameter. Front face of propeller hub has squared recess. Rear face of propeller hub has 10 inch diameter circular recesss, with one hole that does not penetrate the thickness of the hub.

Dimensions: Length 104.5 inches. Outer Hub Diameter: 13.25 inches. Max Hub Thickeness: 5 inches. Max Blade Chord: 9.125 inches. Center Hole Diameter: 3.125 inches.

Stamped Markings on Aft Side of Propeller Hub:

"Left Hand", "Navy Serial Nol. 56-168", "56-168", "H.S.I.", Unit Serial No. 196?", "S-10 XX"

Stamped Markings on Front Side of Propeller Blade:

"U.S. centered on an anchor"

From other posts, it appears that this is from an HS Curtis Flying Boat, perhaps an HS-1 or HS-2L, from about 1917, and was part of a two propeller mortised configuration, used on a Liberty V12 engine.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
    Attached Files

Originally posted by TFlournoy View Post
    From other posts, it appears that this is from an HS Curtis Flying Boat, perhaps an HS-1 or HS-2L, from about 1917, and was part of a two propeller mortised configuration, used on a Liberty V12 engine.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
    Good job. I think you've got all the information you'll get.

Don't try to "restore" it. It's in nice shape.
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X