Early or modern you be the judges ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early or modern you be the judges ?

I think I'm getting the hang of this Dave, thanks for the tips.To all the forum members and contributors I have come in to possession of what I think by the forums definition is an early wooden propeller. I'm deferring to those much more knowledgeable than I in my qwest to put # 1: an age to my prop #2 a manufacturer name if possible and #3: the type of aircraft it would most likely have been mated with or more properly the engine type it would have been designed to be used with. The following are the measurements and identifying marks (few as they seem to be ) that I'm led to understand can be very important to identifying any wooden propeller and particularly those of an age thought to be 90 or more yrs old.
    #1 overall length of propeller from blade tip to blade tip is 8 feet one and one half inches
    #2 prop blade at it's broadest point appears to be 8 and 3/8ths inches
    #3 depth of what I've been referring to as the mounting bore ( in the hub of prop, is 4 or 4 and 1/16th (you could give but not take a1/16th
    #4 Diameter of that same boring appears to be 2 and 5/8ths inches.
    #5 there are Eight, not six smaller drillings surrounding the largest drilling/mounting bore ( please supply the proper adjective for my future reference) in a circular pattern spaced precisely 2 inches apart one from another on center.
    #6 from the outside edge of any one of these smaller drillings to the inside edge of it's opposing or opposite is,I think, 5 and3/16ths inches
    #7 very clearly visible on both the outside of the hub and the flat inside or outside possibly of the prop hub are the numbers 27 and 28.
    #8 distance from closest edge of small bores to the edge of the mounting bore is 1and 1/8 inches
    #9 finally as to identifying markings ,stamps logos etc. Other than the afore mentioned 27&28 there were only 2 others. Located in the middle of the broadest part of the prop. Were two logos one on each end of blade. If you can picture the letter v turned upside down with a less acute angle this comprised the top part of the logo. On one side of our upsidedown v is the word Canada or canadian. On other could only discern 3 letters A,R,and O. Underneath this roof of the upside down v I could read two words WAR MUNITIONS. And that's it. That's all I have . Hope to have pictures uploaded sometime today Thursday. Please Email any thoughts and Ideas as they apply to the 3 questions posed earlier my email address is sandysboy6963@gmail.com thank you in advance for any help you can give me. Sincerely Timscurious

Tim, I've attached the photos you sent me.

Using the "advanced search" feature I found this thread from 2011 which should answer most of your questions, as it may be an identical propeller. The hub dimensions are consistent with an OX5 engine, which was used on a variety of different aircraft, but Bob Gardner's comments about the Canada Munitions, Ltd. history suggests that it was likely manufactured for the Canadian Curtiss JN4.

I did move this to the "Early" category, as you suggested.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X