Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
americanwolfe

Question Help w/ Jamestown Mantel Co. Propeller

I have a salesman sample propeller (25 inches in diameter) built by the Jamestown Mantel Co. (owned by Caflisch Bros. Co.) I believe this propeller was called the Falcon or that was the name of their propellers? Jamestown Mantel co. played an important part in American history in the first quarter of the 20th century. They kept a million board foot of mahogany on hand and the Navy used their propellers to complete the first trans-Atlantic air crossing in 1919. This was the first time man navigated flight outside the sight of land.

I cannot find any a single Jamestown mantel company propeller on the web and cannot find any information on them. I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of them or can offer any insight. I would like to learn more about them and potentially sell it to someone who truly appreciates it.

Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jason Wolfe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2205.jpg (99.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2202.jpg (94.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2203.jpg (94.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2207.jpg (96.3 KB, 5 views)
americanwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

I think they manufactured propellers under the "Falcon Propeller" trade name.

See this link. I may have some other references to the company, but only as Falcon, not Falcon Mantel.

Lots of furniture, piano, and other manufacturers with lumber and tooling quickly entered into the propeller making business in the late teens. My understanding is that many of the props were made for the Curtiss Aircraft Company.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HS2Ldec1.jpg (32.1 KB, 15 views)
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
americanwolfe

Default Thanks!

Yes that is definitely the exact same logo. And looks to be the exact same form of the salesman sample I have. The sample even has the fabric wrapped tips! I wonder if I can submit my information about the manufacturer to update the page or if thats of no interest?
americanwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanwolfe View Post
Yes that is definitely the exact same logo. And looks to be the exact same form of the salesman sample I have. The sample even has the fabric wrapped tips! I wonder if I can submit my information about the manufacturer to update the page or if thats of no interest?
Please do. Just post it here and I can add things to the page.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote