Early prop ID ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early prop ID ?

Hi... New guy here.. I acquired an old propeller and could use some help in identifying it. It is 90" long tip to tip, the center hole is 2 7/8".. Maybe 3". The thickness at the hub is 4'..There are 8 holes.It appears to be oak. There are some very hard to completely read numbers on each side of the hub.From what I'm seeing on this site it's an early propeller.
    Thanks...
    Attached Files

It looks like a prop for an OX5 engine. If so the bolt hole circle should be 5 1/2 inches (measured from the center of one hole to the center of the opposite hole).

The length of 90" is shorter than most OX5 props, which were usually over 8 feet in length.
    Attached Files

Comment

early prop id

Thanks... I just checked and center to center is 5 1/4"... not 5 1/2"..So ?

Comment

Originally posted by lola440 View Post
        Thanks... I just checked and center to center is 5 1/4"... not 5 1/2"..So ?
        Actually, that's my misprint. The correct bolt circle diameter for an OX5 is 5 1/4", not what I wrote above. See this link.

While it's not 100% certain that it's an OX5 prop, it's certainly the most likely engine application, although there are a lot of different aircraft makes and models that might be applicable.

Comment

Working...
        X