Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authenticating/Assessing a Paragon Propeller

Hi All, happy to join the group.

I'm assisting a friend who is planning to put a Paragon propeller on the market. First thing we'd like to do is authenticate it. Judging from the helpful information on WoodenPropeller.com, we believe it to be a Paragon prop used on the OX5 Curtiss Jenny engine. Unfortunately most of the stamped numbers are difficult to discern. The length is 99 inches.

Next we'd like to understand its desirability given its condition. It doesn't look like any restoration has been attempted. There is a chunk of wood knocked off an outer edge of the hub. The brass edging appears intact.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

It certainly resembles the fairly commonly found OX5 prop that's often used on the JN4, but it could also have been intended for a different aircraft. The diameter is consistent with other JN4 props. You might check the hub dimensions to confirm that the hub is at least consistent with an OX5.

A big plus in selling is that the original decals appear intact, as does the adjacent finish. It's best to leave everything that way. IMHO, propellers are way overpriced on eBay now, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of sales at the inflated prices. I bought a few of this model years ago for a few hundred dollars each, but sold them more recently for closer to $1200. Your prop appears to be a spare (i.e. never mounted on an aircraft) and these were sold as surplus in the 1920's for $3 each.

Sometimes you can highlight the numbers with oblique light, and maybe gently rubbing with turpentine. If you can post close up photos we might be able to provide more info.

Comment

The "S.C. 7600" is a Signal Corps serial number, which dates it to the late teens or early twenties. "Right Hand" is the direction of rotation, and the other numbers are the diameter (8' 3") and pitch (5.00 feet).

In my opinion it was almost certainly manufactured for the OX5 powered Curtiss JN4, as you suggested. This particular model seems to have been manufactured in large quantities so a number of them remain. Keeping it in its present condition is important to retaining any value.

Is the missing piece on the hub on the same or opposite side as the decals?

Comment

Paragon Propeller!

HI, I may be interested in purchasing your propeller. I can be reached at msprior02@gmail.com
        Thanks, Scott

Comment

Thanks for the information, Dave! The chip is on the same side as the decals.

Comment

It would have been better on the other side . . .

Comment

Working...
            X