Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Clues

Hi Everyone,

I was pointed in the direction of this forum by a chap at an airfieild museum in suffolk just outside Great Glenham, I think it was Parham or once known as USAAF Framlingham. It was a great afternoon out and I would reccommnend it to anyone. Myself and my two boys loved it.

I have had for ten or more years some wooden propellers which I believe came from Langar. Its an old RAF and USAAF base from WW2 and also, please correct me if I am wrong AVRO were also there too. The propellers are all in some state of disrepair and some still have some black plastic type coating on them. The others are splintered and only resemble a propeller type shape. I have taken some pictures and tried my best to upload them.

I would be really very grateful if any one could shed any light on what they are and what they were attached too?

Many thanks

MarBar
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MarBar; 08-04-2009, 12:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

I certainly have no idea, as they look like probably WWII vintage. Maybe Bob Gardner or someone will see this and shed some light at some point.
    Dave

Comment

I have no idea either. Do any of them have any markings stamped into them on or near the hub?

Comment

Hi

I will have a look and let you know. They need a good clean to get the muck off them. As soon as I find out I will post and let you know. I will be going there tonight. On speaking to my father who has always lived in the area there were Lancasters and Flying fortresses there during the war years as well as Avro. I think that they might well have belonged to someone who once worked at Avro.

Comment

Originally posted by MarBar View Post
          Hi

I will have a look and let you know. They need a good clean to get the muck off them. As soon as I find out I will post and let you know. I will be going there tonight. On speaking to my father who has always lived in the area there were Lancasters and Flying fortresses there during the war years as well as Avro. I think that they might well have belonged to someone who once worked at Avro.
          I have washed them off and they all have the same yellow decal at the base. None of them have any stampings that I can see as yet. As you can see some of them have different markings. I hope this helps? only one of them still has its tip which I have shown in the images, all the rest of them have their tips smashed off.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MarBar; 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM. Reason: exta info.

Comment

Sorry but the yellow tag information doesn't help me a bit. Perhaps they denote the incident in which each was damaged or perhaps some sort of inventory control. Bob Gardner lives in the UK and checks in here occasionally, maybe he'll have some insight.

Comment

Has anyone any idea at all to which plane these props were once on??

Any suggestions will be greatly received.

Many thanks

Comment

Good Morning Marbar,

This is a Rotol propeller. Rotol was the prop company set up by Rolls Royce and Bristol during WW2.

DB739 indicates the blade type and it was fitted to Bristol Hercules VI, IX, XVI and XVII engines that were used on the Wellington, Marks III, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV. It was also used on the Lancaster II fitted with the Hercules VI.

Statistically it is likely that the blades came from a Vickers Wellington.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob,

Many thanks for your reply.

Its great to know what the props were once fitted to.

I really appreciate your help,

Mark
                  Last edited by MarBar; 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Somebody has asked me to sell one of these props to them. Has anybody any idea what one of them would be worth? Is it worthwhile selling or would it be better to keep them?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

MarBar

Comment

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew of an approximate price for one of these props, thats if they are worth anything at all? I need to have a clearout in the shed and they could really do with going to someone who might appreciate them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

MarBar

Comment

Hi,

They are worth about £300 in good condition; the damaged one is worth less.

With kind regards,

Bob
                        Bob Gardner
                        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                        X