Yet another unknown prop needs ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another unknown prop needs ID

Great Forum !! I have a 2-blade wooden prop which seems to fall into the "modern " catagory . Specs as follows :

Decal on each blade " Supreme Propeller Co. Wichita , Kansas "

68 " tip-to-tip
    2 5/8" center bore , six 3/8" mounting holes ( plus 2 dowel holes ), 4" center to center

Blade leading edges are fabric covered on outer 11" , and metal covered on the outer two-thirds of each blade

Hub 3 1/4" thick

markings stamped on blades : "RPM 2500 " ( no mystery what that means )
    " T 1957 "
    " D 108 M "
    condition : original , one tip is cracked and fabric is peeled back some , but it is all there ( see story below ).

The story : was my dads . He was an aviation writer / photographer for 40 yrs . He passed in 1975 and my dim memory cant remember the details , but I thought he told me he was flying a Sopwith pup and dug in the prop on takeoff . Had to pay the grand sum of $18 to replace it . He was born in 1915 , so this had to happen around 1930ish as he would have been 15 or 16 then .
    Would like to ID this , and get a guess on what its worth . Thanks .

A picture might help with respect to guessing its value, and I don't know what the specific markings mean on this one. Stone made quite a few different props, but we don't seem to have any listings for them. See this statement from Lamar's site.

Looking through some of their Type Certificate data, it looks like yours might have been manufactured under TC808, which would make it designed for a 65 HP engine. That type certificate expired March 5, 1957.
    Dave

Comment

another unknown

Yes , I have read that page . trying to upload some pics here , but it wont take it for some reason. Pics are all within your criteria . Soon as I figure it out , I'll send'em . You'll notice the word " Stone " does not appear on the decal . maybe that will help ....????

Thanks for the reply

Comment

unknown prop

pics flew ( no pun intended ) this time .

Ideas anyone ?
        Attached Files

Comment

1 more

Forgot the decal pic
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for getting the photos up. It's actually not in bad shape, although I'd be concerned that the center bore has been enlarged for a clock, which certainly reduces its value.

I would guess on eBay that would go for something in the $300 to $600 range, although possibly more if the center is unaltered.
            Dave

Comment

another unknown - continued

Thanks for the advice .
              I can remember seeing this prop in my dads den as far back as the mid-1950's . To my best recollection , never noticed anything ( clock or otherwise ) mounted in the hub.
              Couple more questions though , can you make a guess on type aircraft this might have been used on ? Not 100% on my Pup guess .
              Also ( pic posted ) notice the hub from the back side is "stepped" . Might that narrow it down ?
              Appreciate the help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, the hub was almost certainly cut out for installation of a clock or something similar. My best guess is that it was installed on a 65 HP engine (like a Continental or Franklin, for instance) used on a trainer in the 40's or 50's. There are probably 20 or more possibilities of aircraft that fit in that description.
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X