Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Propellers, Inc., Los Angeles, Calif.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Propellers, Inc., Los Angeles, Calif.

My Uncle Reginald died in 1960 and left me a beautiful wooden propeller when I was a 6 year old kid. Uncle Reg flew in WW1 and WW2. The family lore is that the propeller is from a reconnisance aircraft he flew in WW1. I know very little about him, at this time, other than this.

I would like to find out if this propeller was used on WW1 aircraft and if so, what kind of aircraft. I'd also like to figure out the history of it and its manufacture, if possible.

The info on the propeller is as follows:

On the center portion on one side is says:

US Propellers, Inc.
    CONTW535AC35915
    PLANE L6

On the other side it says:

DES 76FGS64
    SERAF 4310542
    RPM 2200
    HP 115
    TC 787
    ENG FRANKLIN

There is a Round Decal on the body of the propeller that says: US Propeller, Inc. Los Angeles, Calif. and a central star with "US" in the middle.

Stamped on the back are the numbers:

Thanks for any help.

It was designed to be used on an Interstate L6, a WW2 aircraft.

That particular model carries a note:
    "Serial Nos. 10000 to 10731, inclusive, are not approved. Propellers bearing these serial numbers hav a 3 1/4" bore and eight 7/16" diameter bolt on a 5 1/4" diameter bolt circle and many of them were inadvertently stamped "T.C. 787" prioor to delivery to the Army for use on the Interestate L6 airplaned equipped with the Kinner No 8031 hub."

So it looks as if yours was not approved for use because of a manufacturing screw up, and is stamped for a Franklin engine. I think the serial number "AF43 10542", means that it was for a 1943 Air Force contract.
    Dave

Comment

US Propellers, Inc., Los Angeles, Calif.

Thanks Dave.

Can you share your source for the info? Its much appreciated.

Tim

Comment

It's an FAA publication called Volume VI, Aircraft Listing and Aircraft Engine and Propeller Listing, Type Certificate Data Sheets and Specifications, January, 1983 (Page 32)
        Dave

Comment

Prop/hub incompatible question

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          It was designed to be used on an Interstate L6, a WW2 aircraft.

That particular model carries a note:
          "Serial Nos. 10000 to 10731, inclusive, are not approved. Propellers bearing these serial numbers hav a 3 1/4" bore and eight 7/16" diameter bolt on a 5 1/4" diameter bolt circle and many of them were inadvertently stamped "T.C. 787" prioor to delivery to the Army for use on the Interestate L6 airplaned equipped with the Kinner No 8031 hub."

So it looks as if yours was not approved for use because of a manufacturing screw up, and is stamped for a Franklin engine. I think the serial number "AF43 10542", means that it was for a 1943 Air Force contract.
          Dave, Do you know what difference in specifications makes these props incompatible with the Kinner 8031 hub? thanks, Jeff

Comment

For one thing, it appears that the bolt holes were drilled to 7/16" rather than the specified 3/8". The note includes the fact that the hub was drilled to 3 1/4", but they don't specify the design center bore size. The were also
            Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, That jives with a seller on Barnstormers in possession of one of these serial numbered props. His is drilled to 7/16ths and my Kinner hub is 3/8ths. I steered him to your information. Thanks for a great website!

BTW, I'm looking for an original propeller for my Kinner K-5 that can be used as a template for a new propeller. Something along the lines of a Kinner Sportster prop.

v/r Jeff

Comment

US Propeller

Originally posted by tmhww1 View Post
                My Uncle Reginald died in 1960 and left me a beautiful wooden propeller when I was a 6 year old kid. Uncle Reg flew in WW1 and WW2. The family lore is that the propeller is from a reconnisance aircraft he flew in WW1. I know very little about him, at this time, other than this.

I would like to find out if this propeller was used on WW1 aircraft and if so, what kind of aircraft. I'd also like to figure out the history of it and its manufacture, if possible.

The info on the propeller is as follows:

On the center portion on one side is says:

US Propellers, Inc.
                CONTW535AC35915
                PLANE L6

On the other side it says:

DES 76FGS64
                SERAF 4310542
                RPM 2200
                HP 115
                TC 787
                ENG FRANKLIN

There is a Round Decal on the body of the propeller that says: US Propeller, Inc. Los Angeles, Calif. and a central star with "US" in the middle.

Stamped on the back are the numbers:

Thanks for any help.
                I have the exact propeller with the exception of the serial number being 172 numbers higher. I can find very little info on the company or propeller. Just was wondering what it's worth, since I really don't have a need or room for it.
                Last edited by Room61broom$; 09-17-2020, 10:49 AM. Reason: change number

Comment

Working...
                X