Helice Mercure Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dave and others,

This "Mercure" prop (modified Ratmanoff for me) is clearly from before WW1 and was modified also before WW1 : Mercure decals after 1917/1918 are different and during WW1 there was not civil use of propellers. As all military propellers have airworthy stamps, this one have to be made and modified before 1914.
    In these early times, small propellers (from 4') were used. Look at this Chauvière price list published before 1914 : half the props are under 2,50 mètres (98") :

Regards,
    PM
    Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I think you are correct!

PM
      After your latest comments, I have taken a closer look at the stamped numbers and on close inspection, it does show A^5 (complete with font end curls).
      Dave
      I have also taken an end shot to show the blade profile as best I can to answer your 'thickness distribution' comments.

PM
      I will be driving past Cahors on Saturday en route to Perpignan but sadly will not have the time to come and visit. Perhaps some other time.

Thanks for your interest gents. So is this prop rare or not?
      Attached Files

Comment

The photo of the tip end certainly looks more like an original than one that has been cut down. If it has been cut down, someone has shaped it to look original, but I think that's less likely.
        Dave

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the tip seems original, but it could have been made like the original. Ratmanoffs have this kind of section. I will made a picture of the one we have from the same era and will try to find a "5" on a Ratmanoff to see if the bar is also curved.

About rarity: each prop of this era is a rarity! Many are the only one known of their kind. But if your question is a price matter, price of propellers has no direct relation with rarity.

Beware of speeding on your road to Perpignan: French state is looking for money!

Reagards,
          PM

Comment

Hi,

Two views of the tip of a Ratmanoff serial KU (from 1911/1913). And markings from a Ratmanoff serial B: the 5s look very similar to the one of A^5, with the curl at the end and the upper bar curved down.

For me, with 99.9% chance, your prop is a Ratmanoff serial A^5, shortened from 2,40 to 2,30 meters, with 1 centimeter lost (not in translation , but from time damage). The decals perhaps affixed in Mercure workshop? I think we can never know.
            The only way to gain 0.1% to have a 100% Ratmanoff would be to find the remnants of Ratmanoff stamps: there were two on each blade, just near the hub, extrados side, and about 20 centimeters from the hub, intrados side.

Regards,
            PM
            Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X