Wall Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Mount

My previous "thread" is labeled "found".

In it, I mentioned that, along with showing off, my main objective was/is to learn as much as I can about what it is that I have hanging on my wall.

I never thought that the "way" I have my prop. mounted on the wall would be of any interest. I guess I just figured you "true blue" prop guys had surely seen it all.

This mount was made by a friend of mine and consists of 2 pieces.

1) I'll call the round mounting board, has 5 counter sunk holes for lag bolts.
    2) The post. The post is counter sunk onto (into?) the round mounting board to increase "shear weight" strength.

A bolt, counter sunk through the back of the mounting board, holds the post to the mounting board.

I use 5 lag bolts to attach this to a wall. I have had this prop. in 2 homes and always mount it over a doorway to make use of the doorway header. The lag bolts go through the sheetrock and into the header. Currently only 4 of the 5 bolts have a "full bite" into solid wood (header).

Even though the prop. I have is over 10 ft long (actual length is 126 inches) it only weighs approx. 55 lbs. and I've never had a problem with it on the wall.
    Lord knows I don't have a corner tall enough to stand it up in.
    Attached Files

Bobzilla--this is a very helpful post, thanks!

Comment

I've done the same, but found it wasn't necessary to countersink the post into the backing plate, and in fact I have mounted long props using only one sheetrock screw to hold it up. (I did that on mounts that used multiple dowels instead of one post, and holding it to the wall with a single screw allows you to adjust the angle. That of course isn't needed on a single middle post.)
      Dave

Comment

wall mount

I recently bougt my first propeller, on impulse actually. I made a wal mount
        from a cafeĀ“table top bracket, two big ball bearings and a wood axle.
        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56085759/wall%20mount.JPG

It makes the prop come to life a little when you are able to turn it, ot even spinn it.
        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56085759/on%20the%20wall.JPG

/Fredrik

Comment

Oh it looks pretty stable! The pictures are clear enough!
          Thanks for posting!
          scrabble helper tool

Comment

Working...
          X