Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with identification

Hello all,

I recently purchased this wooden prop and was hoping for more information as well as possible value. Any information would be helpful. The number I see listed is SC9459 and the brand is Flottorp out of Chicago..

Thanks,
    Attached Files

The SC is a Signal Corps number and does not help with identification. It looks as if the hub is about the right size for an OX5 engine (which doesn't narrow it down much to a specific aircraft). See if the hub dimensions fit on something on this table.

Flottorp started in Chicago and moved to Grand Rapids, so it's likely a fairly early prop, although I'm not sure exactly when the move occurred.

Look closely for other stamped numbers, even if they don't seem significant.

Comment

Thank you! I'll take a closer look. It's too bad it's not one piece, but still cool.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've seen them cut and then re-joined together, and as long as the original finish is not disturbed it can still make a good display piece.

This propeller, cut into 3 pieces for transporting then reassembled, sold for a bit less than it would have had it been intact, but it still retains the original patina and fabric tips. the important thing is to NOT try to improve any of the existing surface, especially with decals. That also means not polishing the sheathing.

Comment

This is good news. If anyone knows of a reputable source for restoration near Chicago, let me know. I'm interested in a full restore.. I'm big into preserving history.

Comment

The measurements definitely match the Curtis OX-5 engine.. The only other marking I found is attached on the picture.. It's a box with A113..
            Attached Files

Comment

That's just an inspection stamp, but doesn't identify its usage. The "odds" favor a Curtiss JN4 ("Jenny") but those are just odds.

It's a little like finding a tire that could fit on any number of cars, so you pick the most common one.

Comment

Working...
              X