WWII Navy drone prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Navy drone prop

Hey gang. Great place you got, here. My dear old dad was a Navy fighter pilot during the war, and he brought this prop back with him from Hawaii. He was stationed there in Kaneohe. They'd launch these drones off the carriers and shoot at them as the drones circled. This prop is 32" long. There are no identifying marks on it that I can find. I was hoping that wouldn't make it a lost cause in terms of at least nailing down a manufacturer.

If it does, heck, just enjoy; and, thanks for looking!
    Attached Files

Lots of those go unidentified, especilly with no numbers.
    Dave

Comment

I kind of thought so. Now I know so. What about identifying the type of drone this 32", 4-bolt pattern might have gone on? It would be nice to have a picture of the drone to go with it.

Comment

Without any form of identification on the props that seems extremely unlikely. It's my understanding that many drone models used the same engine. Even if we had bolt circle specifications for drones it wouldn't help much.

Lamar

Comment

I wonder if anybody had ever seen one with yellow and red tips like on this one. If so, that might "mark" a manufacturer.

Comment

I'm trying to run down a manufacturer, guys, and all I have to go on is these yellow and red tips. As such, it would be helpful if I at least knew whether anybody has seen these before. Even if you haven't, that's an answer. Hey, we take them as we find them. Thanks.

Comment

I don't think that's going to tell you much. I've certainly seen that color combo before and have also seen all yellow and all red. You could watch eBay for a while and see if something that comes up there resembles yours, but the absence of any stamped numbers implies that it might not have even completed production, ended up in a discard pile and got disposed of from there. Not an uncommon occurrence, as quality control in propeller production seems to be quite rigorous.
              Last edited by Dave; 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling
              Dave

Comment

I never thought of that, Dave. It looks like a perfectly good prop, though, and they did go the last step of a varnish and paint job. This was acquired right at the end of the war. I wonder, now, though, after what you said, maybe it was surplus, they were just tossing these.

Well, anyway, another one bites the dust. Thanks for the bit of learning, guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X