No announcement yet.

Stoke Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The identification of the propeller after great team work here, makes this forum so worthwhile.

Well done to you all.

Regards,
    Bob.

Comment

Hi
      I've had an e-mail from the Museum and they have asked me to pass on their thanks to Bob Gardner for his help.
      They also wondered if the number 73 stamped on the prop could suggest that it had been used by No. 73 Squadron who appear to have used Sopwith Camels. Has anybody seen the intended destination stamped on a prop, by a manufacturer or by a supply dept?
      Regards
      Dom

Comment

Originally posted by dharding View Post
        They also wondered if the number 73 stamped on the prop could suggest that it had been used by No. 73 Squadron who appear to have used Sopwith Camels. Has anybody seen the intended destination stamped on a prop, by a manufacturer or by a supply dept?
        Regards
        Dom
        I do think that's unlikely. Propellers were more like tires than anything - produced in large quantities knowing that they would be frequently replaced. As a consequence, there wasn't much hoopla involved in attaching them to a specific plane.
        Dave

Comment

Hi Guys,
          I've just received this e-mail from the Potteries Museum & Art Gallery and thought I'd pass it on.

Hi Dominic,

Hope all is well with you.

You might be interested to know that the wooden propeller is now on display in the Spitfire gallery at the museum
          - a label is being prepared and will acknowledge the help of the wooden propeller forum.

Again, we are very grateful to yourself and your colleagues for all your assistance.

Regards
          Don

Don Steward | Collections Officer (Natural History)
          Neighbourhood Engagement and Partnerships | People: Adult and Neighbourhood Services Directorate City of Stoke-on-Trent
          The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery, City Centre, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
          ST1 3DW

Comment

Working...
          X