Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacuzzi Propeller/Loughead XL-1

Hi Monty:

It sounds like you have an interesting propeller with a very interesting history. Please post some photos of it - I would really like to see it!

How did you come to own this engine and propeller? Are you familiar with the previous owners? Where is the propeller located?

Paul

Comment

We did Lockheed Aviation History work. We knew Allen Lockheed Jr., Tony Stadleman, Gilbert Budwig and Jack Northrup personally, the story goes like this.

After the Loughead Brothers ran ouit of money they used the engine and propeller for collateral. It was given to an investor in the East Bay (Hayward). It sat in this investors garage until he passed away. the heirs called Lockheed and offered the engine to them and THEY WEREN'T INTERESTED! they referred them to us and offered us the engine and prop for free, so we took a little drive across the bay and retrieved it. It sat in our hangar since the mid 1970s. In 1985 we had Ole' Fahlin assess the propeller and he repaired a crack in one blade.
      In 2001 I donated the engine to the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos. The restored engine is on display but has a replica prop. They used to original prop as a pattern so its as good a replica as can be made. I have the original propeller proudly displayed on my wall. I'll send some pictures or upload them here

Comment

Regarding the Jacuzzi prop on the experimental Loughead XL1 engine:
        Here is a a link to the history of the S1 airplane with photos of the prop mounted on the engine and airplane.

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/a...t-1972-AAM.htm

{might have to paste that into the browser)

Comment

Jacuzzi Propeller/Loughead XL-1

That is a great story and offers a little more information on our family business at that time. A few more pieces of the puzzle that help us document a period that, for the most part, had been forgotten.

If you are able, please post some photos of the original propeller and in particular, the markings on the prop hub. As you probably gathered from previous comments, the production records were lost many years ago - I have been documenting various hub codes, markings and serial numbers on known remaining propellers.

My email is pvjacuzzi@waterite.com.

Comment

Working...
          X