12'4" wooden prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12'4" wooden prop

Suspended on ceiling and unable to see any stamps, nos, ect on reverse side.
    Uncut with blades covered with a protective black linen type material.
    Maybe unused and originally thought to be a Watts make.
    Too long for Spit/Hurri/Fury and has low speed tips.
    Poss. seaplane but...…….any body go any further ?
    Attached Files

There's not too much to go on. At that size it might be for an airship of some kind, and note that it's a left hand thread, which can indicate a pusher configuration.

Comment

Hello Synergy!

Your prop is British and probably dates from late WW1 or the 1920's. Can you tell us how long it is? I might then be able to identify it. It has none of the characteristics of a Watts prop, nor is it from a seaplane. It is probably covered in Irish Linen painted black, which is characteristic of RAF props from 1918 until circa the mid 1930s when a Hydulignum finish came into use. This was a process devised in Germany in the 1930s and made under licence in GB. It is described elsewhere on this forum. The process used many thin laminations glued together, a process today called laminates, and the laminates were put into a sheath before the whole prop was immersed in liquid resin at a high temperature.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

In the thread title it’s 12 feet, 4 inches. Note the 10 bolt hole hub and the left hand thread.

Comment

Old 12'4" propellor

I will get back on here when the prop is on the floor and I can read the other side of the boss

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
            Suspended on ceiling and unable to see any stamps, nos, ect on reverse side.
            Uncut with blades covered with a protective black linen type material.
            Maybe unused and originally thought to be a Watts make.
            Too long for Spit/Hurri/Fury and has low speed tips.
            Poss. seaplane but...…….any body go any further ?
            Wrong rotation for a Merlin, and the Spit/Hurricane used a 12 bolt Watts hub.

Comment

It is a Watts propellor

Got off the ceiling:

DRG No WATTS Z1651/1.....TIGER 1V

REVERSE SIDE OF BOSS: 34792....B7014.....DEC/34....D12-25'....P 9 5'...

Comment

Blackburn Shark, Armstrong Siddeley Tiger IV radial engine.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you....any idea of value.....It is possible this prop was never used....no wear marks or fatigue showing......Pete

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                    Thank you....any idea of value.....It is possible this prop was never used....no wear marks or fatigue showing......Pete
                    I wouldn't really know, but everything has a value to a collector. There won't be many surviving, but there probably isn't any demand either. I am not aware of any museum examples of the Shark.

However it is a Watts propeller, designed by the great British airscrew designer Dr HC Watts.

Comment

Working...
                    X