Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 03-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #11
Bob Gardner

An observation about the decal on this prop. I doubt if the word turbo came into common parlance in Germany or England until post WW2. The word is Latin for vortex.

Turbines came into use at the beginning of the last century in England and were used in heavy industry and as engines in ships. A turbine ship's engine was designed by a chap called Parsons, to whom I'm very distantly related, who built a small ship the size of a large launch, the Turbina and fitted it with his steam turbine. At a royal review of the Royal Navy in 1894, Parsons drove his vessel along the lines of battleships and cruisers on review at about 40mph. And the Royal Navy was instantly convinced and started building destroyers with steam turbine engines.

In WW1, Britain tried supercharging aero-engines which gave only a marginal improvement. The Germans had more success with a turbo-charger where the exhaust gases powered a turbine which forced air into the carburettors. This term turbo-charger remained in use for much of the twentieth century and I believe the abbreviation turbo is modern, by which I mean post WW2.

Therefore I think your German prop must also be post-WW2. The style of the decal has an art deco influence, probably from the end of the art deco period in the 1950's and 1960's. So my conclusion is that your propeller is German (I mis-spelt Luftschrauben) and dates from the 1960's. Like many wooden German propellers from the twentieth century it is particularly elegant.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
pmdec

Hi,

I can't read all the markings of the fourth pic:
14 -??? ?05
and, under and the other way:
?K14??

Anybody can read all? It could add some guess.
About the shape of the prop and the fact it is a 4-bladed: could it be earlier than Bob said? Look also at the coast shape on the map: it could be from the era of "large" Germany (look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territ...ion_of_Germany )...

A clear close up of the decal can be useful...

Regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #13
Bob Gardner

Yes, the central area of Europe might be coloured to illustrate Grosser Deutschland. Greater Germany.

And the four bladed prop in the decal does look like one from WW1.

I have also been playing with the lettering T URB O to see if there is some sort of pun lurking there, without much success. Urb translates as city or town, as in the word urban.

We appear to be defeated?

Bob

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 03-20-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote