Story Propeller Stamped US Air Industries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Propeller Stamped US Air Industries

I have a propeller that has Story decals, but is also stamped US Air Industries. Story Propeller became Story-Gawley around 1929 and then was absorbed by Industrial Forming in 1941 (this may help to date the prop). Also, I'm uncertain if Story did maintenance on props, but curious if this was originally a US Air Industries prop that had maintenance done at Story and the decals added?

On one side of the hub, there appears to be what I assume is a balancing weight (pictured). And the crush plate seems to have had some sort of additional hardware that secured to the prop.

I had tried to find the Modern Propeller Hub info via the links on this site, but it appears all of the links are no longer working. Does anyone have a PDF with modern prop hub info they could share?

DIMENSIONS:
    Propeller Length: 76"
    Hub Thickness: 3.25"
    Hub Diamater: 6, 1/8"
    Hub Bore: 2.25"
    Bolt Circle: 4, 3/8"

MARKINGS:

US AIR INDUSTRIES

(below is difficult to read - doing my best)
    DES 5726
    SER 3035
    RPM 2350
    HP 85

MARKINGS ON REAR OF HUB:
    J5 588
    Attached Files

For what it’s worth, casting a different set of eyes over the numbers, it looks to me as if it reads HP 65. Stamped beneath that is ATC 1732 (or 732; it is difficult to tell whether the “1” is just a random mark on the wood).
    I thought this might refer to “Aircraft Type Certificate” but no such certificate has the number 1732, and Type Certificate 732 belongs to a glider.

Another interesting clue is the stamp: J5 588.
    “J5” might refer to the Piper J5 Cub Cruiser, but there is a catch: this was fitted with a 75 hp engine.
    Last edited by Mtskull; 06-28-2020, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X