No announcement yet.

Identification of Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am able to read a few more numbers-N4823 or N4828. If you could point me in the right direction in researching things like this it would be great. I'm not real sure where to even begin to look. Even if it is from a personal plane, its kind of got me interested in knowing more. So any tips on how to begin tracking down more info would be awsome.

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
      I am able to read a few more numbers-N4823 or N4828.
      A couple of big IF's: If your prop is a Sensenich and if either number is the prop serial number it would indicate the prop was made in February or March of 1947. Unfortunately, that would be of no help in ID'ing the aircraft though as there are no known cross-references of serial number to prop application.

Lamar

Comment

But chances are good that if it were made by Sensenich during those years they would have also stamped it with the design number.

Tammy, keep in mind that while a lot of the propellers are made by a few of the common manufacturers, quite a few were also made by very small companies, and there is almost no way of tracking them down in that case.
        Dave

Comment

Thank you to both of you for all the great information. I really do appreciate it. Believe it or not now you've gotten me very interested in learning more about this type stuff. Even though there may be real way of knowing type of plane this came off of, I'm just glad to know that it's not just some piece of junk that my husband has been holding onto all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
            But chances are good that if it were made by Sensenich during those years they would have also stamped it with the design number.
            Good point; very true Dave.

Lamar

Comment

I have found two more numbers on the hub. I don't know if it helps, but between two of the holes on each side ther is 1 and 2 below the other numbers. Like I said I don't know if it has anything to do with identification or not. I'm still looking for more information on this propeller.

Comment

No, they don't help. The blades are often numbered to assist in maintenence of the engine and propeller.
                Dave

Comment

As a further follow-up, I got in the mail today some photos of a GB Lewis prop that also had a decal that explains the "SHO" seen on yours.

As Lamar suggested, it does stand for "SHOP", and although worn, clearly shows that it was inspected and or/overhauled by Sensenich in Lancaster, Pa.
                  Attached Files
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X