de Havilland Moth propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de Havilland Moth propeller

I received the following details below via a private message, now with the authors name deleted. My observations are in red!

Hello, I have come across a prop with a clock in it. The data on the hub reads:

Do9" p49" Diameter miss-read. It's D 6ft 9ins and Pitch 4ft 9ins
    Sept/36 Date of manufacture
    Drg No DH5220/L The drawing number
    Gipsy II III & Major Engine types possible for this prop
    L.H.T[/I] A left hand tractor configuration

The prop was used on the DH Tiger Moth, a WW2 basic trainer, used in GB as well as South Africa, Texas, and Canada. Most of the training airfields outside GB were chosen for their blue skies, a meteorological condition seldom seen in Great Britain. 1936 was the first year of expansion of the British and Dominion armed forces to meet the emerging threat from Germany via the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (NSDAP)

With kind regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 02-05-2018, 12:22 PM.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Thanks for posting it here, Bob.

A reminder - I've uploaded a page that I send to people who email me questions about propellers. I politely explain why I stopped replying and instead refer them here.

As you well know, much of the effort you put into answering questions often appears to be almost "unappreciated", so now at least in those cases the data is available here for others to share.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I recall you telling me that you had done this but until now I haven't looked at it. It's very good. Partially in jest I suggest a small addition to the effect; 'And if we provide you with information be so kind as to thank us !'

With kind regards,

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Gardner; 02-05-2018, 03:22 PM.
      Bob Gardner

Comment

I know, Bob. It's frustrating some times. But although this email that I got last week was addressed to me, you should certainly share in the expression of appreciation for what we are doing here.

Mr. Bahnson,

A few of us have been referencing your web site for some time now. You certainly have a wealth of knowledge here from your collection. We just celebrated our 100 year anniversary. One of the things we just did was to find and bring home a 1917 Liberty propeller for liberty engine that we made. Your photos show that you own one also. Yours is serial number 2684, ours is 2539. We are currently preparing to mount for display in our factory here in Piqua. Have you ever visited us and toured our facility? I think you would enjoy that.

I just found a neat photo of US Navy airmen working on a Curtiss H-16 air boat with one of these propellers. You can see the rivets and even our sticker on it. I would like to chat with you some day. If you have any paperwork like old Hartzell propeller listings, or propeller catalogs, photos, old lists of which prop for which engine or aircraft, or such we would love to read them. Some of our early data is difficult to obtain and is desired.

Look to hear from you sometime.

Joseph A. Simmons | Manager | Engineering Test Laboratory | 937.778.4235

Hartzell Propeller Inc | 350 Washington Ave. | Piqua, Ohio 45356 | 937.778.4200 | www.hartzellprop.com

Comment

What a lovely letter to receive! Well done Dave.

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
          X