Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID "Boomerang" Hodge and Dose Propeller

Hi All,

Newb here and not sure how to ask this sort of question.
    I have a wooden 2 bladed propeller with the following markings "punched" into the centre hub of prop.

Front face has builders Stamp - elliptical in shape with three lines text
    Hodge & Dose Ltd
    MAKERS
    MARRICKWILL N.S.W.

Inner (rear) face has number

One side of hub
    "BOOMERANG"
    DH "GIPSY" MK 2

Other side (I assume these to be Diameter and Pitch and a manufacturers part No)
    D 6' / 4"
    P 5" / 0"
    No 274

General description is it has black fabric ends, with black painted brass on leading edge, gold stripe (approx 20mm or 3/4") at inner end of black fabric where the centre hub becomes "raw" or varnished timber. It has been spun as there is discolouration where the spinner met the surface of prop.

There are two boomerang shaped decals (one on each blade) with maker details:
    Hodge & Dose Ltd
    Makers
    Sydney N.S.W.

Couple of questions:
    1 - I would like to know what aircraft this was fitted to
    2 - What approximate year it may have been manufactured
    3 - what sort of value it may hold - I don't want to sell it as have had it for 30+ years - was given to me as a child.

I can provide images should there be a need/want

Thanks you all in advance

Simon Brown
    Melbourne Australia

Maybe a picture would help. Is it left hand thread?

I'm afraid it's likely to be ONE of the ones on this list, but there are a lot of possibilities. I'm not sure what model the Gypsy "Mk II" was, but a search on "DeHavilland Gypsy" might lead to a clue. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it was used on a Gypsy Moth or one of its variants.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Maybe a picture would help. Is it left hand thread?

I'm afraid it's likely to be ONE of the ones on this list, but there are a lot of possibilities. I'm not sure what model the Gypsy "Mk II" was, but a search on "DeHavilland Gypsy" might lead to a clue. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it was used on a Gypsy Moth or one of its variants.
      Hi Dave and thanks for your reply.

That's quite a list I figured the D.H. would be DeHavilland and had also assumed a variant of the "Gipsy" aircraft.

The prop is a Left handed prop.

Pictures can be viewed here (they should be public images - let me know if cannot see them)
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/676040...7645465999513/

Again thanks for looking and hopefully these images shed some more light on it.

Simon

Comment

Working...
      X