Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help Identify a Prop from a Gipsy 6 Engine

Hi There

I have a wooden propeller which was purchased from ebay, link here for pictures:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-WO...-/130949130607

The advert says Gipsy Moth but it isn't correct.

On one side of the hub it is stamped DRG No. D.H. 5240/B, Gipsy VI
    On the other it says D 6.0' P 9.36', A.C. 32842, A PL/34

The AC 32842 number is also stamped on the engine side of the hub.

It looks like a very coarse prop, as the numbers suggest, so I'm guessing it was off something quite fast, with a Gipsy 6 engine, and presumably access to a very long runway..

The table linked from this site has DH drawing numbers around 5240 being for Dragon Rapides etc, so I'm guessing mid thirties in age.

The pictures flatter it a bit, it has been crudely varnished and I'd like to take it back and polish it, maybe repair the damage to the trailing edges. Any hints or tips gratefully received!

Thanks
    Andy

Last edited by squeaker; 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM.

And before anyone says it, no, the cat in the picture does not indicate a Puss Moth..

Comment

Seems to have you all stumped so far!
      Try another picture.
      prop

Comment

I'm stumped. There are a lot of DH5200 series numbers on this list, but they seemed to have skipped yours.

Any chance the last digit is a "6" instead of a "0"????
        Dave

Comment

Hi Dave
          No it is definitely a "0", the markings are still very clear.
          I'm wondering, given the quite powerful engine, coarse pitch and relatively small diameter, if it may have been for an early Mew Gull? They all finished up with metal props but to start with I think it may have used a wooden one.
          Would have thought that the D.H drawing number would suggest a DH aircraft, but maybe not?

Comment

Definitely struggling with this, DH heritage couldn't help, but think I will try the museum at Salisbury Hall next. Guy who built a lovely Mew Gull replica recently doesn't think it came off that, but it is a very coarse pitch and a relatively small diameter.
            Would love to know if anyone thinks they can help!

Comment

Working...
            X