Curtiss JN4C - "Jenny" Paragon Propellor For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtiss JN4C - "Jenny" Paragon Propellor For Sale

Made of oak, scimitar shape, hub indentation and other markings indicate it was removed from an actual aircraft of the period, a point underscored by the fact that it's a propeller which must have been broken during a crash or ground loop. It comprises the hub and one blade only. I would characterize its condition as 7/10. There is a crack near the tip which I've chosen to not strengthen with glue.

Markings:
    8'3" x 5.00
    RIGHT HAND
    AID C2 within circle (can't clearly read the "C2")
    CURTISS(?) 2 within rectangle (can clearly read "C" and "2", not the rest)

I have an idea what a full Curtiss Jenny Paragon propeller is worth but research hasn't provided me a value of a propeller such as this.

It's a nice piece and actually easier to display than a full prop. Propeller is located in Toronto, Canada. I'm open to offers for a quick sale.

Last edited by Kirk; 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling

It's a shame that the prop was damaged. That's a very collectible and sought after model, even though it was produced in fairly large numbers.
    Dave

Comment

interested in purchasing your single blade

I agree with dave, such a shame that this prop was damaged, that being said, I am interested in purchasing your single blade as is. Please get in touch with me as my information is enclosed. Thanks for posting the picture.

Sincerely,
      Dennis Hicklin
      Seattle Washington.
      Attached Files

Comment

From Wikipedia under 'Barnstorming' is this photo titled 'Curtiss JN-4 in flight over Central Ontario, circa 1918'. Coincidentally I bought the prop in the late seventies in the small town of Creemore in Central Ontario. Barnstorming and flying circuses were common here.

There really isn't much (or any) question or concern about the use of the prop on a JN4. You won't be able to connect it to a specific airplane or pilot.

The only problem with it is that half of it is missing . . .

I see the prop more as half-full than half-empty.
        Last edited by Kirk; 09-01-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I am interested

please get in touch with me at my cell number,
          206 227 2503, I would like to purchase your damaged prop as is. Lets discuss price and shipping when you have time.

Sincerely,
          J. Dennis Hicklin
          Seattle Washington
          206 227 2503
          Attached Files

Comment

Got your message Dennis. Email sent.

Although damaged and salvaged from some mishap or other, I still value the propeller as a well preserved piece of aviation history: a damaged WW I propeller that survived. Thankfully someone had the presence of mind to round off the hub and preserve what they could all those years ago rather than scrapping it or using as firewood. Hard to believe I've enjoyed it myself for more than thirty of those ninety some years.

Comment

curious as to your opinion Dave, and the rest of the forum as well.

Hey Dave, as you can see, this is a unique piece, but that being said, regardless of its patina and age, its still 1/2 half of a prop that had been damaged. I am curious what you think would be a fair value for this piece and taking into consideration of the seller and buyer splitting the cost of shipping. I have an idea of its value, but am always interested what the rest of the forum is thinking in regards to pieces such as this. Any input from the global audience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
              J. Dennis Hicklin
              Seattle Washington
              Attached Files

Comment

To me it's a piece of a damaged prop albeit in apparently good condition. There are lots of WW-I era props that have survived whole and in good shape. Anyway, to me, this is a fragment definitely worth preserving but not worth much money.

That's my two pence.

Lamar

Comment

For curiosity's sake, shipping expenses aside, what's the approximate value of a complete Paragon JN-4 prop with decals intact and a similar level of finish? Thanks.

Comment

The scimitar shaped Paragon seems to be a particularly desirable collectible, and I would guess that one in excellent condition is worth something in the $3000 range. Personally, I think a single blade is only worth about a tenth of that value, if that.
                    Dave

Comment

evaluation appreciated

Thanks Dave and Lamar, your input is greatly appreciated. With out getting into the details, I was spot on in my personal evaluation of Kirks 1/2 paragon propeller. I am always amazed at what percieved values are placed on fragments of vintage "airscrews", if intact, then the prices are justified, but if not complete, then the value drops dramatically. You do notice how you never see just 1/2 half of a 59 Mercedes Benze 300 SL gullwing coupe being offered at Barrett-Jacksons auction now do you?

Sincerely,
                      J. Dennis Hicklin
                      Seattle Washington
                      Attached Files

Comment

There is something "unsightly" about seeing half of an item that derives its elegance from the whole, as propellers do. I think that's particularly true of this specfic propeller, which when intact has a graceful and balanced compound curve that's almost sensuous to the eye. I would almost rather see the hub removed and the decal saved on a block of the blade as a display item.

Attached Files
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by D.Hicklin View Post
                          Thanks Dave and Lamar, your input is greatly appreciated. With out getting into the details, I was spot on in my personal evaluation of Kirks 1/2 paragon propeller. I am always amazed at what percieved values are placed on fragments of vintage "airscrews", if intact, then the prices are justified, but if not complete, then the value drops dramatically. You do notice how you never see just 1/2 half of a 59 Mercedes Benze 300 SL gullwing coupe being offered at Barrett-Jacksons auction now do you?

Sincerely,
                          J. Dennis Hicklin
                          Seattle Washington
                          Dennis, with all due respect, your offer $200 less me paying $100 for half of shipping costs plus donating my time and materials to package and deliver it to the shipper amounts to a net loss to me of at least $200. Not a good deal for me.

To pursue your Barrett-Jackson analogy a bit further, a body and motor with matching serial numbers from an historic vehicle is actually worth a lot of money. You don't see them at Barrett-Jackson but a market exists.

I know my prop is not universally appreciated. I've listed it for sale locally (no shipping) and will happily keep it if it doesn't sell.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

clarification

Hey Kirk, perhaps a bit of clarification about the offer and splitting the shipping. The original offer was for $200.00 and then sharing the shipping cost ( 1/2 ) which I estimated to be $100.00 to $185.00 that is considering the distance from your area ( Toronto ) to seattle. As stated, it doesnt need an exotic crate, just the bubble wrap and cardboard sheathing I described. Which is very cheap cost wise. Plus no insurance, as this isnt a piece that is rare, it is what it is. Tell you what, the offer still stands for $200.00, lets see what the actual cost of shipping is, and if its not over $120.00, then I will bear the cost of shipping. Anything past that, and its really not a viable sitution since the cost for 1/2 of a prop sails past logic quickly.

Your correct about the 300 SL gull wing being offered at Barrett - Jackson, its not the type of auction that attracts that kind of automobile. You see them at places like Christies, and Goodings and company at places like Pebble beach, and Amelia Island, occasionally at retromobile in Paris as well.

But we are drifing off topic here.

The 1/2 of a paragon is worth what ever someone will pay for it, my offer of $200.00 for it, is fair and it appears that others on this forums opinions are in line with that amount. Purely out of curiosity, I would like to know what the final sale total is if it indeed does get sold. Its been a pleasure to have an open dialog with you via this forum.

Sincerely,
                            J. Dennis Hicklin
                            Seattle Washington
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just noticed this on eBay

On eBay I discovered a refinished "Nieuport 12 with a BR 2 Rotary engine used around 1917" half propeller with 28 bids which sold for $740. Wow!

Comment

Working...
                              X