Help with ID. G B Lewis Wood Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID. G B Lewis Wood Propeller

My grandpa who passed roughly 15 years ago was an airplane mechanic in the Navy during WW2. He had this propeller mounted in his house for many years. My mom beleives the story was he replaced the propeller and took the old one home. Oddly though, there are no markings on it besides "NOT AIRWORTHY." Any help identifying it would be great, I would love to purchase a picture of the same type of aircraft and mount them on the wall together.

I find it odd that an airplane mechanic during WW2 would have a replica, but anything is possible.
    Attached Files

"Not airworthy" was stamped on propellers that were rejected during the manufacturing process, so they are "authentic" in that respect but not approved for use on certificated aircraft. Yours might also have been destined for metal sheathing and fabric tips (painted) but got pulled out before those steps.

You might be able to match it to several possibilities if you measure its length from tip to tip and post that back here. I have some published references that might help.

Comment

I appreciate the help. It is 72" in length and 6.25" tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny5 View Post
        I appreciate the help. It is 72" in length and 6.25" tall.
        So open the attachment below and find the 72 inch models then carefully measure the bolt hole diameter and the bolt hole circle diameter on yours. That will narrow the possibilities to one or more design numbers, then go to this chart to match that model with the aircraft for which it would have been certificated.

It's very likely that there will be several aircraft that would apply. It's similar to a tire design that would fit a number of different car makes and models.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
          So open the attachment below and find the 72 inch models then carefully measure the bolt hole diameter and the bolt hole circle diameter on yours. That will narrow the possibilities to one or more design numbers, then go to this chart to match that model with the aircraft for which it would have been certificated.

It's very likely that there will be several aircraft that would apply. It's similar to a tire design that would fit a number of different car makes and models.

I really appreciate all of the help. This narrowed it down quite a bit!

Comment

I don't know how many models you've narrowed it down to at this point, but as far as I'm concerned you can pick any of the candidates and label it as "applicable" to that model since it hasn't actually been used on a specific one.

Comment

Working...
            X