Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
MWP_Lamar

I'm using Google Chrome web browser and I have no trouble reading pages 827 and beyond. There are quite a few pages and I cannot discover a way to copy them; it doesn't appear to be as simple as cut and paste.

Lamar
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
Brett Robb

Hi, Bob there are several pages to read, you would probably want to read the whole book. There are many other old books and military publications on props and planes on Google that can be read for free. Do you have a Google account? I'm signed into Google. I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe if you just searched the book out on Google that would get you to it. here's a few titles ~ Aircraft production: Hearings before the subcommittee of the ..., Volumes 1-2 By United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Military Affairs ~ The Airplane Propeller By United States. Army. Air Corps, United States. Adjutant-General's Office ~ Aviation in Canada, 1917-1918: Being a brief account of the work of the Royal air force, Canada, the Aviation department of the Imperial munitions board, and the Canadian aeroplanes limited. I just saw MWP Lamar's post that should work.

Brett
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Brett Robb

Bob, For future reference this may or may not help your research, but I found this company in England still in business with an interesting fact listed in their history ~ 1908 Company began trading as A.Edmonds & Co. Ltd. During the Great War, the company used itsí skills to fabricate Lewis gun chests and cartridge cases, and later also began to supply mahogany aircraft propellers to Daimler. http://www.edmonds.uk.com/ I have not noticed them being mentioned on the forum before.

Brett
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Audree

Default Thank you -

Thank you all very much for this help - the entire process is very exciting. Are either of you in LA? I could bring the prop to you to see in person. Or if you have a colleague in the area I can bring it to them.
I have been trying to decipher the numbers & letters. I just looked at it in a dark room with a flash light & magnifier.
Tomorrow if the sun comes out I will take it outside for a better look. And better pictures. I tried a rubbing but that does not seem to help.
I can now see 4 marks on the center bolt hole. It looks like D388 or 0888 or 3388.
I think I have some of the markings correct - see attachment.
If you could give me an idea of the number/letter length & possible sequence that may help me.
I am also wondering what the A like brand represents and the number 1 off to the bottom right of it. You can see it posted above.
As far as the SC number I understand the meaning has been lost in time but it is SC 39642. I have not found that sc in the propreller shape I see on other props on the site - does not having that mark help date or identify it.
Does the copper angled blade tips give an information about it.
Measurement - 99" or 2.515m
Again - thank you for all of this info.
Audree

Last edited by Audree; 01-27-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: I need to make attachemnt smaller
Audree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Audree

Default Hub info

Here is the hub info in a jpeg
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hub.jpg (74.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #16
Audree

Dave

I reread your post & I see the A stamp is an inspection stamp. I was wondering if you know how many different inspection stamps there were. Is the #1 also an inspection stamp?

I read one of the posts about a German prop and it said the copper tip was used for Seaplanes - is this the same with the Lang designs?

You have eagle eyes - you saw more in my picture of the hub then I have sorted out in days.
I will put it in the sunshine tomorrow & see if I can complete some of the number & letter sequences you spotted.

Thanks again
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
Dave
Forum contributor

Metal sheathing was a virtual necessity for seaplanes because of the destructive force of water on the wood, but many landplane props also had metal sheathing, particularly with U.S. built props.

From what you've sketched out as possibilities it seems that the engine may be an 80 HP LeRhone. One thing you can do at this point is go to this chart and compare your hub dimensions with the LeRhone dimensions shown on the chart.

One problem is that there isn't an exhaustive database of drawing number/engine/aircraft combinations that would allow you to infer what the most likely usage is. There are odd matches, but no complete listing. Some (many) props are not identifiable, despite everyone's best efforts.

If you have access to a macro lens and can get a good close up of segments of the stampings I might be able to determine more with those, but it's always a challenge.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Audree

Thank you Dave - I'm not giving up. I will post more when I have it.
Does it help to know it came from a salvage company that did work in Long Beach, CA?
I was wondering if only certian planes were used on either coasts depending on the needs of the miitary at the time.
Audree