Fudge Snow-sedan propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fudge Snow-sedan propeller

Hi everyone! Great to know there is a forum for propeller enthusiasts.

I just purchased an old (between 1932 and 194x, not sure) wooden propeller that used to be on a Fudge Snow-Sedan. Picture below.

From what I understand, and this could be completely wrong, it was a special order from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

It's in pretty good shape and is now safely hanging on one of my walls. I believe the black metal parts are supposed to be golden, but it might have also been painted that way at the factory. The company stamp is also used, but since I can read most of the text, I don't find it too bad.

Can anybody give me more insight on this propeller? Anything I should know? Any idea of it's rarity and value?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

It's certainly not one I've seen before, and it's an interesting hub assembly, splined I presume?

I'm guessing that the 3 blade design was an effort to reduce the radius for a ground application like a snow sleigh. I'm not sure where you could go to find more information about it or the company that made it, but you might try contacting Monte Chase on his web site, www.notplanejane.com, where he has previously posted this page.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I will send him a quick message to see if he can help me out. I could only find information in an old french Canadian book on snowplanes.

I am not familiar with propellers enough to know if it's a splined assembly, but from some quick researches I believe that it is.

What I like about it is that the center hole is very small compared to the size of the propeller. I'm thinking it would be too small for a plane propeller/engine.

Comment

With the small diameter shaft I think there would have to be either a spline or at least a keyway to lock the hub onto the shaft. Is there a notch in the center bore?

Also of note is that it's a left hand thread, typical of a pusher application when used with a standard type of engine. That, of course, is consistent with a sleigh or airboat design.
        Dave

Comment

Yes, there is. I'll post a picture after work.

Comment

Gabriel
            I have a Fudge Snow sedan.
            If you would consider parting with the prop or would like more info let me know.
            Dave

Comment

Fudge Snow Plane propeller

Hello:
              I was searching for fudge snow plane parts. I was also looking for a three blade propeller for my Fudge sedan. I do have the three blade hub, but all three blades are destroyed. This hub fit on the sedan with a 6 cylinder flathead engine mounted on the rear. I believe this was one of the stock production units. Any additional information about parts and specifications is appreciated.
              Thanks
              Craig

Comment

Craigger
                I have a book that has a very good history of Fudge industries.
                I know of a prop maker that might be able to make new paddles for your hub.
                Where are you located?
                There are a few parts left around for these machines that have not ended up in museums.
                What condition is your machine in?
                Dave

Comment

Fudge

The machine is very complete. All steering, skis, body are there including seats. The fabric roof is gone from the stringers. There is a flat 6 chrysler on it with the drive for the prop hub. blades were destroyed. I am near Edmonton SW. The radiator is missing and the engine is seized. I did not want to get to far without knowing where a propellor could be sourced. Any info is appreciated.

Comment

Determined & craigger,

I am guessing that GabrielMTL is in Canada. If you can arrange with him to loan a blade, I can make each of you the blades that you require, here in sunny Ontario.

Regards
                    John

Comment

Manufactured Blades

THat would be great. I would like to speak with you about that. Do you use aircraft approved material or is it even required. I do have one blade but it is cracked but complete. Any idea of cost and lead time. Can you balance them?

Craigger

Comment

Craigger

Apologies for the delayed response, but I don't frequent here very often.

Materials would be as original, whatever that may be re wood species. I have used West Systems epoxy successfully for laminating. I have not made blades for a 3 bladed prop before, but would want each to be the same overall weight. A static balance with the hub would be necessary after assembly.

I just saw your PM and have sent one in return.

Regards
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X