Antique Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Propeller

I have a beautiful antique aircraft propeller and I would like to know more about it's history.
    It has several markings and you can see those on the enclosed photos that I have attached.
    I am interested in knowing what type of aircraft and engine this propeller came off of.

Here are the details:

The center section of the prop has a three and 1/4 inch bore. It is surrounded by eight bolt holes of 3/4 inch diameter and spaced three inches apart around the circumference. The bolt holes are eight inches in diameter and the entire hub measures 11 inches in diameter.

The markings are quite clear and the first marking is an anchor symbol with a "U.S." stamped around it.
    The second marking says "MATTHEWS BROS MFG CO."
    Third there is "N.O. 1050"
    The next line reads "9'6" X 5'7"
    Lastly it is stamped "R6"

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

THUDDRIVER

Edit: Photo added

I'm guessing that it was designed for the Curtiss R6, a later variation of the R4 aircraft. See this page for what might be an identical prop. Look carefully on yours for the drawing number of 11612. If that's there it's a certainty.

Matthews Bros. made quite a few props for the Navy in the late teens. Thomas Hamilton was a manger there and eventually went on to form Hamilton Propellers, which later became Hamilton Standard.
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X