Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What more can you tell me

Just acquired a prop hub with the following
    I P C which I take to be the Integrated Propeller Company Who and where were they
    DG2303
    80 HP REN I take to be Renault
    MFR....AN. Bit unclear - is tgat a Maurice Fairman biplane? What does it look like haw many built, French?
    B19881.

Any further data and confirmations welcome,
    This prop and or plane supposedly came to grief in Holland/ Europe

IPC is "Integral Propeller Company". The drawing number IPC2330 is listed for use on a 80 HP Gnome engine for a "Henry Farman". IPC 2303 is listed for the Maurice Farman, and there is a listing of IPC69 with a 80 Renault engine for the Maruice Farman, and another drawing IPC2365 for a 70 HP Renault on a Maurice Farman.

How clear is the "REN"? Could it be construed as a Gnome abbreviation?

Neither the diameter, pitch or specific Farman aircraft are identified in the reference. Propellers were often switched out on other aircraft, but typically the Drawing number is specific for a hub, which is specific for an engine. I don't know if the hub configuration is the same for a Renault as it is for a Gnome, but I'm pretty sure that they rotated in opposite directions.

Is you hub right hand or left hand? Can you post some photos?

Comment

The REN is very clear,
      It's all packaged up for transport to uk now, so I'll reply when back
      Thanks

Comment

Back home and had a good study of the hub.
        All markings as per first listing and definitely M FARMAN is visible - also on the outside edge there is an arrow and the letters WD visible, ( does that mean it was produced for the UK? or in the UK under license ?)and on the back face the number 85

The front face has been embellished by carvings??

So I take it to be from a MF 11 Shorthorn Circa 1915

I have pictures but cant seem to attach them so could email them

Intend to have the screw holes professionally mended and to offer it to a museum - even though its been carved its still a historic hub

its a pusher prop turning clockwise seen from the tail looking forward.

Comment

If you want to email a few photos I can post them. Try dave at woodenpropeller.com.

You may be disappointed with a museum's handling of your offer to donate it. I've seen them turn down entire propellers. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

ADDED: See post #14 for photos.

Comment

Prop hub

Hello Johan,
            I’m interested in buying your hub.
            If you want to sell it ,contact me please.
            I live in Belgium
            Greetz

Comment

Hello Johan,
              Do you want to sell the hub?
              I’m interested.Live in Belgium.
              Greetings,
              Geert

Comment

I was a little disappointed when I contacted the curator of the airport where my father acquired the propeller (1920's) that I currently have. I assumed a world of thanks with a glass display with my dad's name for the donation. No no. The airport said the donation becomes theirs. They might display, sell, or leave in a closet.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I will email photos when home tomorrow , I would like to think that a local First World War airport with a museum would be interested, but accept the points made, and if they are not yes I would be happy to sell it to Geertse in Belgium
                  Interested to know whether anyone else has seen wooden hubs faces carved the way mine is? Have a look at the pictures if they are posted tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by gchuba View Post
                    I was a little disappointed when I contacted the curator of the airport where my father acquired the propeller (1920's) that I currently have. I assumed a world of thanks with a glass display with my dad's name for the donation. No no. The airport said the donation becomes theirs. They might display, sell, or leave in a closet.
                    Not the current curator of propulsion (Jeremy Kinney), but the curator at the National Air and Space Museum prior to him would simply turn down any donation of propellers unless there was documented historic relevance to that specific prop. Even then they had a large storage area of propellers that were not on display.

I've acquired a number of propellers over the years when curators have given a donor my contact information after advising the donor that they couldn't assure any specific request for conditions of the donation to the museum. The internet has changed a lot of that, and people can do their own research now and have many more options to dispose of unwanted items.

Propeller hubs are relatively common as they are really just remnants of destroyed propeller blades. Personally, I wish people had saved the decals from the blades instead of the hub, but many of those were just discarded. Some blade tips were carved and made into photo frames, but even then the decals were often left behind.

Comment

Prop hub

Hello Johan,
                      I'll send you my email adress by private message.
                      Grtz

Comment

Prop hub

Please contact me at levrau.geert@hotmail.com

Comment

I do want to clarify my posting. I dealt specifically with Teterboro Airport in New Jersey. I cannot speak about or pass judgement on with other museums. That was the airport where my father acquired the propeller.

Comment

Originally posted by gchuba View Post
                            I do want to clarify my posting. I dealt specif.ically with Teterboro Airport in New Jersey. I cannot speak about or pass judgement on with other museums. That was the airport where my father acquired the propeller.
                            I think that your experience with the airport is fairly typical of most museums. It's actually difficult for them to make the kind of promise that most donors want them to.

Comment

Working...
                            X