Helice/Eclair propeller ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helice/Eclair propeller ID help

Hello! I have a Helice/Eclair wooden propeller that I believe might come from a Sopwith reconaissance aircraft, perhaps from WWI:

I've been told that Helice/Eclair propellers usually had decals on them, and this one doesn't, so maybe it has been refinished at some point.

Numbers on the side part of the hub read "Serie No. 17" and "No. 2602." On the opposite side it reads "Sop I" and "Cl 130hp."

I tried to make as accurate measurements as possible, but they are in inches: The Overall lenghth of the propeller is about 81.5". The bolt hole circle diameter is about 5.875" and each individual hole is about 7/16". The hub thickness is about 5.5", and the center hole diameter is about 2.75".

Also, on the back side of the hub there's been some milling or drilling, it seems, to the wood. Not sure what that's about.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'm not sure how to attach images to this post, but I can email them.

Greetings,

All your assumptions are correct. This is a French prop for the Sopwith Strutter (known in the RFC as the Sopwith Stutter). It was a recce machine designed by the British. 1520 were used by the RFC. The French had 4200 of which 514 went to the Americans.

The French had three variants, two as bombers and one (yours) as a Corps recce aircraft. The French designation was SOP 1 A2. It was powered by the 130 Clerget engine.

Helice is French for propeller. Eclair was the maker.

With regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you, Bob, for your quick reply, and forgive me for my very tardy thank you!

I'll probably try to sell this propeller sometime soon. It was given as a gift to me many years, but I think someone with a more WWI aviation interest would appreciate it more and be able to display it in a fashion better fitting to its history.

Again, thanks!

Regards,
      Todd

Comment

Is "Helice Eclair" stamped on the wood? Can you post a picture of the prop and the drillings you mention?
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X