Flyingboat prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyingboat prop

I have what I believe is a propeller, or 1/2 of it, from an early Curtiss flyingboat. It is in excellent original condition with the following markings on the hub. USN, followed by an anchor, 3572 F.C.R. 8-8" x 5.90' B.P. 162 L.H. TYPE H.S.1 The hub dia. is 13 1/8" The center bore is 3 1/8" 1/2" bolt holes in an 8" circle 3 5/8" thick hub. The hub is rabbeted to receive a counter rabbeted section.
    The leading edges are clad in copper. This blade was manufactured by Paragon. I am looking for as much information as I can find on the prop and the aeroplane on which it was used. Thank you for your help Dick

It certainly sounds like it was made for the Curtiss HS1 flying boat, and actually was more likely used on the HS1-L, which used the Liberty engine instead of the OXX engine. (The "L" designates the LIberty version, and just may not have been stamped on the prop, but the hub dimensions indicate a Liberty size hub was used.)

You are correct about the 4 blade combination and the recessed notch to accomplish that.
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X