paragon propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paragon propellor

I have a paragon prop for an ox-5 jenny, it has the metal leading edges intact and is in prettty fair condition. Unfortunately there are no markings on it or decals, apparently they were sanded off in the late 1949s in a refinishing attempt.
    I would like to get some idea as to its value.

Dr.Bob N.W. Wsconsin

Condition and general geometric shape are both important determinants of value. Do you have a photo?
    Dave

Comment

I do not have a photo handy. I will probably get one in a few days as It is hanging in my hangar which is a few miles away. I wish the markings were not sanded off. But by all the dimensions and bolt holes. I know what it is.
      65 years ago it was just old junk. Now it is a 93 year old antique.
      It is a scimitar prop. It shows signs of use, slight nicks in the brass leading edges.

Dr.Bob

Comment

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but "sanding" and "antique" in the same sentence generally means that the "antique" part is not that big a deal.
        Dave

Comment

well Dave? does it make it worth 9 bucks? I aquired the prop after the damage had been done. I can not undo the damage. It is still 90 some years old.
          thanks for your reply. It still has some value. I have had this prop over 5 years and it has been a very interesting conversation piece. It is not museum quality, but none the less it is rare.

Dr.Bob

Comment

Sure, it has value, but it's hard to determine without actually selling it. The market is small and there is no table of relative values. You can look on eBay for sales of similar props over time, but you really need to weigh in a number of variables even then to make a semi-accurate determination. Off the top of my head and without seeing it I'm guessing that's somewhere in the $500 to $1200 range, depending on buyer availability.
            Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave,
              I will post a photo in the near future. I agree that there is no real way of determining the value without really selling it. Who knows? some damn fool may want it. It would be a nice prop to hang in a bar or restaurant.

Dr.Bob

Comment

The other problem right now is that the market for all collectibles is in a state of flux with an uncertain economy. A few years ago many props sold for what I would consider "insane" amounts, but that's no predictor of present value.
                Dave

Comment

Thanks again Dave.
                  Your input is appreciated.
                  To me the prop is worth way more than $1200.00 It aint a gem, but it is mine. If I sold it it would be gone. You dont find them every day. A good conversation piece has some value. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
                  Dr.Bob

Comment

That's a good reason to keep it and not worry about its value.
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X