WW1 Martinsyde Propeller.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Martinsyde Propeller.

Does anyone have any info on a WW1 Martinsyde (elephant) Propeller?
    With only 270 planes produced would I be right in presuming this is quite hard to find? What is its current aprox market value?

Regards oinkitt

When I started collecting props I found about three Matinsyde props in six months and began to regard them as quite common. Of course I haven't seen one since.

The ratio of spare props in the supply chain to aircraft was high, perhaps as high as 10:1, so there might still be more than 270 props in existence.

At auction, here in the UK, they are likely to sell for around £1000 gbp ($2000 usd). The auctioneer's premium would raise this sum to £1200.

A dealer such as me would restore it, because most original props are in poor condition. This would cost 400gbp. I would probably sell it for around £1900.

A Martinsyde prop is not as desirable as a prop from iconic aircraft such as the SE5 or Camel.

With regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Propeller

Thank you for your prompt reply.
      I went to look at the prop, but it had been murdered. It had a modern finish with hooks in it. They also had an estimate of 4-5k aus.
      I dont know what it went for as I did not go to the auction.

oinkitt

Comment

Prop sale price

The prop in question sold for $3510.00 aus

Comment

That translates as about $3200 USD and about fifteen hundred quid in proper money ! Which is at the upper end of the bracket, but prop prices are variable. It only needs two enthusiasts to push the price up.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X