Need Help WWI Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help WWI Identification

Short version of a long story: My Great Uncle Harold was WWI pilot. The family story that I grew up with (heard many times at the family reunions), he was shot down in France and managed to drag the broken prop back home with him. I can't defend why he decided to grab the prop ... but you have to admit, it is an interesting memento.

This prop has been passed down through the generations & I will pass it down to one of my boys. Well, Uncle Harold has long since passed away but I am curious about the prop. Would there be any ideas about the airplane this prop was on?

I recognize the obvious:
    Counterclockwise rotation, 275 HP Rolls Royce, 10' Diameter, OD Green canvas on the tips but am simply at a loss of how to research something as odd as this.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files

First, welcome to the "new" forum. You are the first member to sign on using the new software (1700+ members on the old software). I hope you didn't mind the "re-captcha" screen and the question about being human. I'm interested in your impressions about that.

The left hand rotation is not very common and should help narrow it down. Actually, the most useful information would be a drawing number (often abbreviated as "DWG") with some letters and numbers after than. I can't tell from the photos if that's buried in there, but if it is just post it here and we'd probably have a positive ID.

In the meantime, when I get home I'll check my listings to see if any props fit that description closely enough to narrow it down.

Comment

Hi,

The drg no is 2610 which almost certainly indicates a prop made by the British Integral Propeller Company (IPC). The engine was a Rolls Royce Eagle III engine and in this case powered a four bladed prop, 3050mm in diameter, fitted to a DH4 aircraft. The greyish band at the blade root was originally blue and indicated left hand rotation. The engines were handed for use on twin bladed aircraft such as the Vickers Vimy to counter swing on take off. The RH rotation prop had a red band and the drg no 2611.

The number 2610 was also used by Airco who designed the DH4 aircraft and appear to have been a minority maker of props for their own aircraft. In this case the prop drg no would be AM2610. My records show (so far) that these props were only used on later marks of the engine, Mks 6, 7 and 8. It was also used on the DH9 aircraft. The design also exists as an Air Board drg no (AB2610) which indicates that the design was authorised by the Government for use by other prop makers under contract.

However, in 1917 only the IPC 2610 prop was listed by the RFC as the standard prop to be used as first choice, so this is almost certianly what your prop is.

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks, Bob, for picking up the drawing number. I see now that it is also listed as print with the photo. (Nice technique.)

Comment

Hi Dave,

Yes! It took me some time to find it.

Congratulations Dave on the new format of your forum. It looks much better and I hope it's now hacker proof. Your web site is a great service to us prop buffs.

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X