X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NooB Seeking Prop Info. Thank you!

Hello!
    Noob here!
    My father recently passed onto The Great Hanger in the Sky at 87.
    He was an Architect, amateur pilot, and taught (briefly) at one of the local Aeronautical Schools on Long Island.
    I was a happy passenger on many flights... including one around Manhattan at twilight. If I recall... we had clearance that allowed us to loop around the south side of the island just above the World Trade Center height.
    Decades ago he acquired this wood prop.
    I'm seeking info on it and would like to sell it off to get it into the "right hands."
    He had a local steel yard make the mount for it.
    Any and all info is appreciated... and if you smoke cigars...
    I have quite a few well stored/well aged beauties to offer as thanks.
    Thank you for your consideration and assistance.
    Cheers,
    Robert Sotis
    Attached Files

I've looked through my reference material and I can't match those numbers, one of which is likely just a serial number and the other likely a model number. I suspect that "P3395" is the model number and was manufactured by Paragon (American Propeller Manufacturing Co. in Baltimore). The stamped anchor indicates that it was made for the U.S. Navy. The 8' x 6'3" is its diameter and pitch.

I don't know of any listing that will match that to an aircraft make and model. My guess is that it fits an OX5 engine or a Hall Scott engine, but you'd need to use this page to obtain accurate measurements then compare them to the data on the linked page to various engines. You can eliminate any engine that doesn't correspond to the measurements given in the table..

Comment

Thank you for the reply and leads.
      Much appreciated.
      Let me know if you smoke stogies and would enjoy some as thanks for your help.
      I'm not familiar with this format but I'm guessing that you can PM me here and send me your addy so that I can mail something to you.
      I'm in Texas.
      Best regards,
      Robert

Comment

I will stick my neck out and suggest another possibility:
        Might the design/drawing number be for a British made propeller, or an American made propeller to a British design, intended for a British aircraft used by the US Naval Air Service?
        Although the number P3395 is not listed in the British propeller resource page linked to this site, I understand that the list may not be exhaustive; certainly numbers in the P33xx series do appear in the list.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
          That throws a curveball at my now dizzy head!
          I've been all over the InterWebs... haven't found much...
          guessing it's because it's a relatively early prop, the markings are limited,
          and no definitive Maker's Mark.
          I looked at some of the references that you mention.
          I wonder if the "95" is the length in inches...
          although some seem to think that the length is covered by the " 8' " marking,
          and the 61662 = June 1916 + production # 62?!?!
          I haven't seen any Paragon units that don't have a decal or stamp calling them out.
          Lots of Dead Ends, so far.

Comment

OK: There are people on this forum with far greater knowledge than me but I will say that I am certain that the 8’x6’3” marking refers to the diameter and pitch.

Less certain but, in my humble opinion, P3395 is most likely the design/drawing number and 61662 either the serial number or a contract number.

By the way, are you 100% certain that this last number is correct? Looking at your photos, the fourth digit is a little obscure but I see this as 61632.

As previously mentioned, while you await further information, you can certainly rule out a lot of possibilities by VERY accurately measuring the centre bore, bolt hole diameter, hub thickness and bolt circle diameter, then comparing the measurements with the “early wooden propellers” resource linked to from this forum.

Good luck!

Comment

In the order of your gracious reply...

I agree on the length and pitch stamp... from what little I know and have found... it makes sense.

Your second point makes sense, too... I was just asking if the first three digits are date related.

Not 100% on the 2nd to last digit being a "3" or a "6" !

Comparing the dimensions to the chart... it MAY be a "Wright A 150HP 1450RPM."
              The dimensions are very close but maybe not 100% on it.

If none of the staps are manufacturers ID... maybe my next question should be...didn't the USN build planes at some point/to some degree?
              I did see some info on another site that even showed pics of women working in a plant.

Thank you, again, for any an all assistance!

Comment

One further piece of advice: This is clearly going to take some painstaking research or a stroke of luck to identify. Don’t confine your research to the WW1 era; there have been a lot of supposedly “early” wooden propellers posted here that have turned out to be “modern” (by the definitions of this forum).

Again, this is only my opinion but there are a few features of your prop (squared ends, nearly symmetrical blades) that make me feel that it is more likely to date from the 1920’s or even 1930’s.
                The size and pitch suggest a training, rather than combat aircraft, of maybe 150-200 HP.

What we know for certain so far:
                Diameter
                Pitch
                Right Hand
                Bolt Circle/Holes etc.
                Used by US Navy

Where I would go from here would be to try to ascertain the hub dimensions of some of the likely engines used by the US Navy during this timeframe; at very least you may be able to rule out a lot of possibilities.
                I would begin with the Wright Whirlwind...

Comment

Back to the Drawing Board. ;(
                  Any leads to other sites that may be of help in this search?
                  I've found Wright, USN, and FB group pages.
                  Nothing that seems very detail oriented.
                  I'll let you know if I come up with more info.
                  Thanks again for your help.
                  Best,
                  Robert

Comment

Most, but not all, wooden propellers manufactured during and after WW1 had manufacturers decals on the blades, and when they're not present it strongly suggests that the prop has been refinished, even if that was done nearly 100 years ago. I suspect that might be the case with yours, as the photos also suggest to some extent.

What is the measurement for the bolt hole circle? That will narrow your search down considerably.

Comment

95" length
                      3" center opening
                      1/2" bolt holes... 2 1/2" apart
                      Hub thickness 7"
                      Hub Dia. 8 1/2"
                      Dist. bet. bolts 6.7"
                      Seems similar to the "Wright A" dimensions on the chart.

Comment

Working...
                      X