What Propeller was used on the Hawker Nimrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Propeller was used on the Hawker Nimrod

I would like to know who was the manufacturer of the propellers used on aircraft like the hawker Fury, Hind, Nimrod etc. Is there anywhere I can find a picture of the manufacturer logo/decal?
    I am talking abot a propeller of roughly 10'6" diameter with a hub that tapers from the back to the front of the propeller.
    Thanks
    Joshua
    Attached Files
    Last edited by N99JH; 12-11-2008, 12:43 PM. Reason: Adding a picture

The prop in the photograph was made by the Airscrew Company of Great Britain. It was designed by Dr HC Watts.

With regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

The Airscrew Company

Bob
      Thank you for the quick reply. Do you know if the propeller used on the Martin Baker MB.2 was similar except for the Left Hand (reverse rotation)?
      Do you know where I can find more information on this company and perhaps their logo?
      Best Regards
      Joshua
      Attached Files

Comment

The Airscrew Company Decal

Does anyone know if the Watts Propellers carried a decal from The Airscrew Company? Any pictures?
        Thanks
        Joshua

Comment

It's very unlikely that the Airscrew Co would have put a decal on a military prop. I have never seen it done. They did put decals on civilian aircraft props.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Watt's Propeller Designation

In my search to identify the Watts propeller used on the Martin-Baker M.B.2 I found that the Hawker Hector used the same Napier Dagger III engine as the M.B.2 and I am pretty sure that the propeller was identical at 10' 6" diameter.
            Does anyone have the specs for that Watts propeller by any chance? Would it be safe to assume that the prop of the M.B.2 was not painted being used on a prototype?
            Thanks for any help in resolving this matter
            Joshua

Comment

Originally posted by N99JH View Post
              In my search to identify the Watts propeller used on the Martin-Baker M.B.2 I found that the Hawker Hector used the same Napier Dagger III engine as the M.B.2 and I am pretty sure that the propeller was identical at 10' 6" diameter.
              Does anyone have the specs for that Watts propeller by any chance? Would it be safe to assume that the prop of the M.B.2 was not painted being used on a prototype?
              Thanks for any help in resolving this matter
              Joshua
              Joshua - it has ben some years since your original posting, but the Hawker Hind biplane that is now flying in the UK, had a replica Watts propeller made by Clark Industries in Canada. Perhaps they can advise further on the specifications.

DAI

Comment

Originally posted by dairwin View Post
                Joshua - it has ben some years since your original posting, but the Hawker Hind biplane that is now flying in the UK, had a replica Watts propeller made by Clark Industries in Canada. Perhaps they can advise further on the specifications.

DAI
                I am back at it

Would really appreciate any information regarding the pitch of this propeller.

Thanks

Joshua

Comment

re: Hind prop

Originally posted by n99jh View Post
                  I am back at it

Thanks

Joshua
                  Hi Joshua,

This is a drawn out conversation! In the intervening 6 years, I acquired a Z38 Watts propeller for a Hurricane Mk1, had it scanned, and the dataset is ready to fabricate a new one when I need it.

However regarding the Hind; this is a photo enlargement of a Hind prop I happened to have. Difficult to read, but I think the diameter and pitch are indicated in meters (oddly?). D330 (3.3m) P3506 (3.506m).

Thats the best I can do.

Regards,

DAI
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dairwin

Thank you so very much for your help. The 330 cm diameter converts well to an approximately 10' 6" diameter propeller, however, I doubt that the other number is the pitch, that would mean 11' pitch !?

Comment

Hi Dairwin

Thank you so very much for your help. The 330 cm diameter converts well to an approximately 10' 6" diameter propeller, however, I doubt that the other number is the pitch, that would mean 11' pitch !?
                      The Hurricane Watts propeller has a 11.25' diameter and pitch of 21.3' (see photo). So don't dismiss the pitch; these are very pitchy propellers optimised for high speed only.

DAI
                      Attached Files

Comment

The Hurricane Watts propeller has a 11.25' diameter and pitch of 21.3' (see photo). So don't dismiss the pitch; these are very pitchy propellers optimised for high speed only.

DAI
                        I have done some more research and found that the Hawker Hector which used the same Napier Dagger engine as used on the MB.2 had a Watts Z.3040 propeller, 10.9' dia. and 12.15' pitch. This may very well be the same propeller as the one loaned to Sir James Martin.
                        You are correct about the pitch!

Comment

I have done some more research and found that the Hawker Hector which used the same Napier Dagger engine as used on the MB.2 had a Watts Z.3040 propeller, 10.9' dia. and 12.15' pitch. This may very well be the same propeller as the one loaned to Sir James Martin.
                          You are correct about the pitch!

For the Z.38 Hurricane propeller, the Rolls-Merlin II could only develop approx 2,100rpm at take off. The equivalent Watts used on the early Spitfire Mk1 had a take off length of 450 years, but when changed to the two-position deHavilland propeller the take off run reduced to 230 yards as that propeller was optimised with fine pitch.

The photo is my Merlin II with a Z.38 propeller. The pitch is evident!

DAI
                          Attached Files

Comment

I am back at it

Thanks

Joshua
                            Joshua,

Came across another photo of a Watts for a Kestrel V.

DAI
                            Attached Files

Comment

Joshua,

Came across another photo of a Watts for a Kestrel V.

DAI
                              Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X