Possible WW1 propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible WW1 propellor

Having recently come into possession of what i believe to be a WW1 propellor I was wondering if i could possibly identify it.

The Prop is 6ft long and the central hub measures a touch over 5 1/2 inches. The Hole in the hub measures exactly 2 1/4 inches.

Unfortunately there are no markings on the blade aside from a number two stamped underneath the central hub.

The hub has not been drilled though markings do appear to have been made as to where the intended holes would have gone. There would have been six of them.

The prop is very light but I am unsure of the type of wood that it has been made from though can confirm that it is dark in colour.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Regds
    Alek

[/img]

Six feet is shorter than almost all (and maybe even all) WW1 era propellers. I wonder if yours was one that was made during that time, then rejected in the manufacturing process and subsequently cut down in length, possibly removing the defect if it was near the tips. It likely can not be identified much beyond that. It's even hard with the drawing numbers stamped on it.

It looks to me like it's mahogany, which was used a lot in WW1 era construction.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the information,
      I was also wondering , as i suppose all people do, what would be the value of this prop and where would be the best place and in what manner to go about putting it up for sale.

Best regds

Alex

Comment

I was also rather curious about your idea about it being a cut down prop, if someone was to take the time to cut it down then surely it would have been cut down to fit something??

Comment

It may have been broken or delaminated at the tip (although obviously that's less like with a prop that hasn't been mounted), or more likely it looks as if someone may have started to fit it to something (hence the drill hole outlines), then realized it wasn't going to work. I really don't know the answer, and I'm sure there are many more possibilities.
          Dave

Comment

Dave
            Many Thanks for your views on this subject though am still curious about a possible value of something like this..

best regds

alex

Comment

I'm guessing that if you put it up for sale on eBay (which will expose it to the largest number of potential buyers in the shortest amount of time) it would end up somewhere in the $300 to $600 range. As a propeller collector however, I can tell you that it's not worth that much to me personally.

Comment

Working...
              X