Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to identify Hartzell Liberty Propeller

Hello,
    My in-laws have a propeller over their fireplace that they are trying to identify. They would like to know when it was made and possibly what types of airplanes it might have been used on.

It is 9 1/2 feet long with an 8 bolt pattern. It has Hartzell Liberty Propeller decals. There is a number 10 on the face. There is a number 2505 stamped into the wood on one of the blades. A few inches above that is the number 1. On both blades near the hub is an anchor with a U and a C. The propellor tips are square with rounded corners.

Please let me know if there might be any additional items which might make it easier to identify.

Thanks,
    Steve Will
    Pennsylvania

If it has Hartzell-Liberty decals it was most likely made around 1917. Hartzell used that logo for a few propellers then was ordered to change it in some kind of trademark dispute involving the Liberty engine. Can you get the hub dimensions and post a picture?

I think I know the propeller, but haven't been able to identify it except that it was used for a Liberty engine.
    Dave

Comment

I will post a picture and get the hub dimensions on Friday.

Comment

Here is a picture of the propeller. I forgot to get the hub dimensions.

http://www.williamsmartialartsdojo.com/p1010016.jpg

Comment

Nice prop, although not the design I was thinking it was. It certainly looks like a Liberty engine hub.
          Dave

Comment

Are there any other markings that I should be looking for to help identify the propeller? I have not taken it down to see what identification might be on the other side of the hub.

I had contacted Hartzell about the propeller. The number stamped on one of the blades does not match any of their serial numbers.

Comment

It's unlikely that there will be any numbers visible on the rear of the hub. If they aren't on the face or the side, there probably won't be any others.
              Dave

Comment

Hartzel Liberty ID stampings

Hello, just wanted to add my two cents about your question if there could be any numbers stamped on the rear face of your props hub. I too have a Hartzel Manufactured, Liberty propeller. My blades are a different style, configuration than yours are. My prop is kind of beat up, yours is in much better shape than mine. Anyways, the only place on my prop that I have been able to find any numbers so far IS on the back side of the hub. So it couldn't hurt to look on the back of your props hub to see if there might be any stampings. Also, if you find out any other good sources to help research your "Liberty" Prop, would you let me know? I would do the same. Thanks, Bill

Comment

Working...
                X